Turtle eggs!

Jrd7788

Songster
Oct 27, 2018
My mom a few weeks ago found a turtle in the road and brought her home because she looked like the turtle we used to have who got loose last year and disappeared and acts just like her. Like a week later my dogs were chewing something and my mom went to go look and found a smaller turtle. We have them both in a terrarium at night and a dog play pen in the day and recently the bigger turtle(Sheldon-yes it’s a girl) has been digging and making holes. And now she layed eggs. I don’t know what to do with them- do I leave them in the hole to hatch outside or should I incubate them myself? I have chicken incubators and I could probably do it but would it be better to leave them in the ground? And would Meruem (the male, smaller turtle) eat the eggs?
image.jpg image.jpg 751F475A-0713-4CCE-8BFD-D8D1F9A38592.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    393.5 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 3
Leave them in the hole. Reptiles eggs incubate differently than bird eggs. Reptiles are independent as soon as they are born so they will just walk away to find their own territories right after they hatch. Is the species native to your area? If they are native please don't keep the babies as pets. Just let them go and be wild.

Are you certain about the tortoises genders?
Where did you originally aquire your pet tortoise? If she's wild, than it's likely illegal to keep her as a pet and hatch her eggs.

I've seen people hatch reptile eggs in chicken incubators, so if you know exactly what humidity and temperature they need I suppose you could.
Whatever you do, don't move the eggs around. If you flip them upside-down you could kill the embryos.
I suggest you do lots more research before doing anything to the eggs. There's plenty of videos on YouTube about how to hatch tortoise eggs, but be aware that most people do not know what they are doing.
This video may be useful to you.

Back
Top Bottom