Turtle-turtle

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by bayouchica, Aug 27, 2007.

1. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Thought yall might enjoy these pics. When I'm out feeding the ducks I have a following of turtles lol. All they want is the catfish pellets & Cat Chow.
    This one Soup turtle got my attention, so big & he's only got one eye. "Soupy"is what I call him, he's neat looks like a Sea turtle in some ways.
    It has taken me weeks to get these pics cause he's been so shy.So the other day he came right beside my canoe & so I took some pics.
    I hope yall enjoy & have a good day.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

They're cute Miriam...I couldn't eat them though...

3. Yonaton

Yonaton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    West TN
    The big one with the 'point' on its nose is a soft-shelled turtle. They're not bad eatin'. The others are just plain ol' sliders...walk by a pond or creek and watch them slide off the bank or tree they were sunning on (that's what I call them, can't remember their official name atm).

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I've eaten a few of thoes soft shell soup turtles. Not too bad. Have two of their shells too. Also have 4 of the RES... one disappeared for 2 months and then mysteriously returned... I think someone stole it from my turtle pool and returned it after 2 months... it would have never survived on land otherwise.

5. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hey yall, I've never ate one of those turtles before,what do they taste like??? Chicken ? [​IMG]
    I couldn't eat one really, guess if had to I would. We just call them Soup turtles around here. That one is as big as a dinner plate & I have seen them bigger than that.Never have seen one up close till now & they are really beautiful turtles.

6. Yonaton

Yonaton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    West TN
    @silkiechicken

You'd be surprised how far a 'water' turtle can go on land. I've seen snapping turtles going through the woods to a different water source than the one it came from...the new water source was a half mile away. I've seen (and caught) a *baby* snapping turtle (its shell was still soft even) near my barn in the hay field. Nearest water source from there is 400 yards (probably a mile for a baby turtle!) and he was headed the wrong way anyway, heh. I took him down to the river and tossed him in the swamp area.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Maybe that was the case that he got out, but I really doubt he could have made it. Anything is possible though. I am just glad she is alive and was able to get back. Last time she ended out of the pool was when a coon tried to eat it. I found it later that day was teeth marks and it's head in a hole unable to get out... The sliders I got aren't nearly as bright as wild turtles. I got them in china town maybe 7 years ago when they were the size of a half dollar. (Illegal) They don't really know what life is outside of the pool or under heat lamps in the house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by