Turtles and ducks???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckLover179, May 9, 2011.

1. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    We are puting in a pond for Waddles and Puddles. We have 1 Red Eared Slider, who is stuffed in a 10 gallon (Might be rehoming). I was thinking, If I put a filter (I would anyway) in the pond, and kept the water clean, would it be okay for the ducks to live with the turtle??? I was just worried he would bite their webbed feet (He bites everything else). I'm NOT worried at all of them hurting him, as they are scared of everything that moves. I also have a heater, sense it's going to be outside. Would this be okay, or is all the poo, and food toxic for the turtle???

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I have heard of red eared sliders eating ducklings and even grown ducks, but not always. Still, I wouldn't trust any turtle anywhere close to where ducks are kept.

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  3. ForgottenGlen

ForgottenGlen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Raeford, NC
    Turtles think ducky feets are tasty... be careful.

4. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    Quote:Thanks! That's just what I needed to know!

5. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    You're welcome! It's rarer for these types of turtles than other turtles like snappers, but it does happen.

6. JoJo 95

JoJo 95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    Red eared sliders will not bother ducks. My mallard duckling swims with my 12 inch RES's .RES dnt like surface food too much. Mine will never eat food until it's at least 9 inches underwater.

7. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Quote:That's good to know. I have heard stories, but they're very rare. I know with me, I wouldn't take the chance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by