Tussle in the coop. Hen has been sleeping outside.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickencoop789, Sep 8, 2014.

1. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    A few days ago, when I went to let the girls out to free range in the morning, I noticed that two of my hens were already out of the coop! (partially my fault because I forgot to take a head count the night before when I closed them in) But I started thinking, and there is no way that they were still walking around at the time I closed them in - about 1 am (I was out real late that night). So I let the rest of the girls out and noticed that the coop was filled with feathers, which lead me to believe that there was a fight between the hens when they were getting ready to roost, and two of the chickens decided to get away from the troublemaker and sleep outside. But the past few days after that, one hen has been consistently sleeping outside in the flower bed, and I have to go outside and find her to carry her back to the coop. Im thinking she still a little frazzled from the fight so she still wants to sleep away from the other girls. Will they eventually work it out themselves and their sleeping habits will go back to normal? Or is this something where I have to intervene and do something to make them sleep together again?

2. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    Is it more than the pecking order routine that chickens do? Or does this chick have a nest of eggs in your flower bed? Are they new to each other? This could be a space problem too. Do you have enough room for them?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  3. chickencoop789

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    I'm not really sure, this has never happened before. I didn't see any eggs, but I'll definitely check again in the morning. They aren't new to each other - I bought them at the same time from the hatchery. I believe I have enough space. They've been in the same coop for over two years with no real problems so I think it's good. I really want to go bigger but I have no more room for anything bigger than what I already have.

4. chickencoop789

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    And I have never integrated any new hens to the flock

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Any chance a predator got into the coop after dark?
    The coop should really be locked up before full dark.

6. chickencoop789

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    I thought about that too but there was no blood so im not sure. It usually is locked up before then but no one was home to do it until the time I got home that night.

7. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Could it be two separate issues?

1- Hen outside could just be broody and really has her eggs hidden. If no eggs, she may be just getting broody, does she show signs?

2-Could the feathers in coop just be from molting. Since they range day, you would only notice the feathers in the coop? 2 of mine started molting a few weeks ago. They live in confinement, so I saw all the feathers. Looked like someone had plucked multiple chickens, really off just 2 BO in 2 days you could have filled a garbage can with the feathers I cleaned out of the coop and run. Yet the two hens didn't look that bad, only a soft molt and if I had not seen all the lost feathers, may not have noticed the new fluff.

8. chickencoop789

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    I don't really think that she is showing any broody signs, but then again ive never had a broody so she might be showing signs and im just not recognizing them right away. No eggs where she was sleeping - I checked this morning. Theyre not molting because all of them molted a month or two ago and it was only that one day that I saw feathers.

9. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    No ideas on what happened in your coop...
    Broody girl are irritable, if you stoke their backs, the fluff and growl.

10. chickencoop789

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    Well, they're all sleeping together tonight so I guess everything is all good now

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by