TV problems

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by EweSheep, Jan 10, 2011.

1. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Is it me or the TV channel stations?

Certain channels usually by the same station, the picture looks screwy....they strink on the sides, people looked skinnier. [​IMG] Hubby and I tried to change the TV settings but nothing works. Other channels are fine, perfectly normal. Top and bottom are fine. Left and right sides have a black border.

What's going on?????? Our TV is roughly ten years old, made by Maganavox.

I hope it is not one of those "new" thing coming out that we would need to buy a new TV for the pictures to look "normal". First it was the box, and now this!

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    It looks like it can fit in those wider screen tv than a perfect square ones like mine.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    You are having to use a converter box Ewe Sheep?

We haven't experienced anything like that and all our TVs are older, 10 years old or better. We're on a satelite though.

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    the satellite box, that is because we do have satellite. Sorry no converter box. DirectTV said we didn't need one. Had excellent views since then.

I just recently did channel surfing.....it really irks me.....

Some TV shows have black borders on either side of the picture, as well as images having "skinny" views. When a commercial comes on, it is back to normal. Not every show is like that. Sometimes the CC would run three to four lines in a row than one or two in a section. Weird.

The next commercial I saw on the same channel, its back to "skinny" views. Even those informalmercials of how to lose weight got skinnier! [​IMG] How skinny can one get LOL!

I don't remember anything of any stations making changes or any announcements.

Been going on for a few days now.

If I go to the extended channels like CNN, Food Network, National Geo, all are normal viewings. Its the local channels that are wonky.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I believe the reason is because alot of TV shows are being shown in high definition (HD.) Therefore if your older TV isnt set up for digital HD, programs will look wider or skinnier, most commercials arnt shown in HD and the screen shrinks. I have a 1 year old Sony Bravia HDTV, the remote that came with the TV has a button on it that you press to adjust the screen in different ways...vertically, horizontially, shrinks or widens to various degrees to best fit the picture being shown on the screen. You would think everything being shown on TV would be a universal picture and fill the screen...but nooooo, they want to make everything as complicated as possible. Havnt they ever heard of 'KISS?" Keep It Simple Stupid!

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG] [​IMG] KISS!

I do remember seeing alot of these shows with HD on it..........jeez! My TV is not set up for anything but remote control and VCR LOL! Have to wait for income tax to see if we can afford a new TV.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:We're not going to bother with a new one right now. We have...let's see...five TVs in this house. Only ever watch the one in the LR. Sometimes DH will turn on the one in the office while he's getting ready for work. The one in our bedroom, he bought me way back when we were dating, I've turned on once. I made sure it was working and then shut it off. It's just another thing to dust now.

8. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    What's a VCR? [​IMG] Lol, 60 inch HD samsung flatscreen TV with satellite (direct tv) for the win! [​IMG]

9. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    There are two reasons this happens. First, if you have an high-def TV this problem happens because the station is not broadcasting in HD. For example: our local CBS affiliate, which we get off the antenna, does not broadcast local shows in HD so the picture does not fit the full width of the screen on our HD TV. When a network show is being broadcast in HD it will fit the full screen but if they cut to a local ad or promo it will shrink until the local station returns the feed to the network--not only does the picture change but the sound does also. It is kind of a pita because the station does in manually and sometimes it takes a while for them to remember to convert.

The second happens because a true HD picture is designed to fill the full HD screen and show more area than the old analog picture. Since you do not have a HD TV but are converting HD to the analog-type of picture it is cutting down the HD picture to analog size. This happens to us when we are using the satellite (Dish-Net) which has not been upgraded to HD yet, since we have adjusted the picture so it will fill the TV's screen people tend to be distorted in size--short and fat--unless we change the picture size to one that will not fill the screen. (We're used to this but it drives my younger daughter nuts so she coverts the picture size when she comes.)

Hope this answers your question.

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Do you have DirecTv? If so, I will ask Ken when I get home how he fixed ours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by