Tv stand to Rooster house :) LARGE PICS!!

Rennie

Songster
10 Years
Oct 28, 2009
Derbyshire, England
Yesterday I was given a cockerel to add to my current 3 hens.. All was going well until this morning when they decided that they didnt like him yet and started ganging up on him, not letting him eat or drink. I wasnt having that so I decided to split them up but keep them in the same coop ..

As ive posted in another thread my coop is made from free recycled stuff that i have either been given or found, and thats how i want it all to be. So off i went on my mission to find what i needed to do the job ..

After not much searching i found something i thought was good enough, This is what i came up with...

dsc00079.jpg

dsc00081.jpg

dsc00082.jpg

dsc00083k.jpg

dsc00084x.jpg

dsc00085w.jpg

dsc00087p.jpg

The built "tv stand rooster house"
dsc00088z.jpg

He couldnt help himself.. It wasnt even finished and he was in it
dsc00090w.jpg

dsc00091.jpg

And finally ... All tucked up in bed like he has been there for days
smile.png

dsc00093p.jpg

This cost me absolutely nothing to make .. The new bits of wood and ply were just odd bits in my shed ... It took a few hours to build but he is much happier now and the girls cant get him because i have split the run in half too

I am only using this as a temp arrangement untill i think he is big enough to show them he is boss...

I must admit though it isnt fully finished .. I need to seal it and put a full time door on it still, (tommorows job
smile.png
) .. hopefully one day this will house his chicks ..

Any feedback is appreciated .. but i think its great, and it does what i wanted it to do,
cool.png

Last edited:
Absolultly awesome. Good job.. That is the kind of stuff I do. People can not believe I can take such stuff and make it into a chicken coop item. lol Job well done.. Kudos to you.

Amazing job!

The only thing I would add, and it hasn't nothing to do with your building skills which I'm in awe of, is that you really should quarantine before introducing a new bird into your flock.

Even if you know the people you got him from well and they take great care of their birds it's safer to quarantine. Some flocks can look healthy, but still be carriers of different things, quarantine doesn't gurantee that the new bird will start to display symptoms, but it does make it more likely. The stress of a move can bring things to the surface that might not be apparent otherwise. Ok, off my soapbox now....

Thank you so much for sharing your project, it really gives me hope that I'll be able to find some things so that I can build some breeding and broody pens this spring.

I love that kind of resourcefulness.

I found a bathroom caddy in my attic that i put on its side and used in the brooder when the chicks were little. It had a towel bar that they roosted on, and the others would sleep underneath one of the little shelves. It was great until they outgrew it at about two weeks.

But it's plastic, so it was easy to clean and use again later - or oddly, put in the BATHroom! naah

Back
Top Bottom