1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Tweeking a Thermostat???Need Info

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wolftracks, May 14, 2010.

1. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I remember seeing a post where someone tweeked a thermostat that held between 99.5 and 100. I need to use an additional hatcher and I can't get the temp to hold. I get the light to go out at 102, but doesn't start back up until it hits 96.1. Not sure what I did wrong when I built this one.

I have some eggs in lockdown, eggs needing to go into lockdown in a few hours, and 3 more hatch dates. I have a hatch due the 15th , but also just remembered I have the 17th as a hatch date too.

help................[​IMG]

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Have you tried using the search feature here at BYC? I dont remember seeing that post but maybe if you try the search you can find it.

[​IMG]

3. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    OK I didn't give enough information when I first posted this. Sorry but the past month has been a bad one and I'm not thinking clearly.

I can't find anything using search. I'm search illiterate when it comes to this site. Heck I can't even figure out how to find the threads I subscribed to.

Soooooooo........ding dong here with a problem.

I have several staggered hatches this month and I need some extra hatchers. I built one that runs almost perfect, but I can't seem to get any others to work right.

All of the thermostats are the same. CAMCO Lower Water Heater Thermostats, preset at 120 degrees that were bought at HD.

#59T 4090 300500 L150F 0938 09171

I know I saw a post with directions to keep these things from fluctuating so much and I really want to get these next 3 hatchers right. Someone tweeked theirs and it held at 99.5 - 101? I believe. I have 2 that are going down to 95 and 96 before the light comes back on which also has an affect on the humidity. Even a fraction of a turn and I end up with them turning back on at 97, but they shoot up to 106!!!! EKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Can anyone help me with a link or give some really simple instructions to a very slow person? I need to get these hatchers ready sooooon..........

Thanks

Kim

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member 10 Years

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Try loosely covering it with bubble wrap. If it's a styrofoam, cover the window on top-it loses alot of heat.

5. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:Problem is they won't start the lights back up until the heat drops too much. I'm so frustrated. The first one stays pretty much right on. Exact same products, but bigger difference with 2 or actually 3 of them.

Is it the thermostat it's self that would be covered with bubble wrap?

6. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Songster

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    you know I can't remember where the post was but I think they moved the thermostat and lowered the power of the bulb to keep it from having that problem I'll run a search and see if I can find it for you

7. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Songster

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
  8. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Thanks........gonna read it now!!!!

9. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    That's got to be it!

Now I remember the drilling holes part, but I'm affraid I'll destroy them completely. Not sure which part to drill away.

My working hatcher has the light closer to the thermostat. I didn't even think of moving it, since I thought I would try some of the ones I've seen on here. Thing is those have been reported to work.

Guess I'll change some things tomorrow and see if it helps.

Thank you sooooo much for finding this for me!

Now if I can figure out why I can't do a decent search on here I'll be even happier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: