Tweeting Really LOUD!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Coleslaw, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Coleslaw

Coleslaw Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2010
    Oceanside, CA
    Hi i have 3 roosters and 2 hens my hens are nice and quiet:) and have cute tweets, but my roosters have really loud and obnoxious ones and i feel bad like theres something wrong is this natural for the boy chicks to be really loud?

THANKS!

2. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Loud chirping usually means they are too cold or too hot. You might check your temp...

3. Coleslaw

Coleslaw Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2010
    Oceanside, CA
    its at 80 degrees and they are about 2 and 1/2 to 3 weeks old sooo is that tooo low??

4. wildeflowers

wildeflowers I suspect fowl play!

Jun 29, 2010
    They might need a bit more heat. I would lower the lamp and see if they huddle under it.

General rule is:
    Week 1-95
    Week 2-90
    Week 3-95
    Week 4-80
    Week 5-75

I generally find they are ok at the 6th week with normal temps as long as they are feathered.

5. HeritageHens

HeritageHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Orygun
    Quote:This is probably obvious but just for clarification, this should be 85, not 95.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Roos do feather more slowly so might feel colder than the females do.

7. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    I remember when mine were still in the house. I had the heat lamp on most nights, but it got quite warm and humind on day so we didnt turn the light on (they were a bit older around 4 weeks). Well it got dark and i went into the room, when i left and turned out the lights they were peeping so loudly i thought they would wake the kids lol!!!! They stopped when i turned the light on. The regular light. Never knew my chickens would be well ..... chicken!!!!

8. Twiztedrods

Twiztedrods Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2009
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    My chicks only peep loud when they are playing chase the chick with the tomatoe or lettuce [​IMG] I turn the heat lamp off during the day but it is 90 in their brooder in the house with the light off. After raising parrots and nearly going bonkers from the noise the chicks little peeps are lost in the background noise of the TV or regular conversation. I know I am not much help, but I find it more confusing when I don't hear them and find them all face down sound asleep [​IMG]. I still get worried that they all fell over dead at once. [​IMG]

9. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    I was alarmed when i saw one of mine sleeping on its side. I didn't know they would ever do that. But I poked my finger down and one of them saw me and raised the alarm. They were fine.

10. Twiztedrods

Twiztedrods Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2009
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Mine are sacked out all over the brooder in all different positions, it looks like a frat house after a "trashcan punch" party. [​IMG] The bad thing is that they are partying at night and sleeping all day....sort of reminds me of my human teenagers...... when they were teenagers [​IMG] These chicks are only 6 days old and acting like they are 4 weeks and ready to move out of the house. They just think they know it all, they will learn when they have babies of their own and get put through all of this......cleaning out the brooder, keeping them all fed, checking their butts for pasties.....yeah, just wait, they will see just how tough it is raising babies when they have their own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by