Tweety horrible injury or infection

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rosco, Aug 6, 2010.

1. rosco

rosco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    we just got back from vacation two days ago. i noticed the chickens were hiding. today, i found the reason. our favorite silkie has huge growth in his eye socket. it is at least the size of his head. a large yellow growth is protruding from eye socket. again, his eye socket is swollen out to at least the size of his head, if not bigger.

the other eye lid is shut so he is blind right now. his beak is twisted and seems to have been broken. last week, before vacation and the last two days of rain, he was perfectly fine, but i noticed he was sleeping by himself.

i'd post a photo, but our camera bit it on a trip so no digital camera.

what in the heck?

poor guy. we won't spend $100's at a vet for a risky surgery or even bother w/ finding out what we know to be the case. he needs to be put to sleep.

any ideas? i sprinkled seven dust on all of them after seeing a breeder do this about a month ago. it is possible, but i don't see any abnormalities in other chickens.e in

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If all the chickens were hiding, it almost sounds like your silkie rooster there might have fought off an attacking animal, got his face injured, which is now infected and full of puss. That would explain the swollen eye, twisted beak, yellow growth which kind of sounds like an infection (perhaps it can be drained?), and the rest of the birds hiding in fear.

A picture would be great if you can borrow a camera. Doubt they needed to be dusted with anything if you did not find paracites upon inspecting their feathers.

3. rosco

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    Viewer Beware: not a good photo:

[​IMG]

4. rosco

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    [​IMG]

would it be okay to bring him in the house? to keep flies away and help with pain?

i'm afraid of something contagious in the house although i'm running in and out holding him

THX silkiechicken! i'm all ears!

5. rosco

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    we won't be able to get into vet clinic for four more hours.

looking for a quick diagnosis and what i can do now. or a trained eye saying, "it is over. end the pain for our 'Tweety.'"

6. RachelFromTheBlackLagoon

RachelFromTheBlackLagoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Wallingford, CT
    I'm no vet, but that looks like the actual eyeball, swollen and infected. If that's the case, I imagine it'll have to be surgically removed.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Ouch, that looks like one bad infection of the eye. He might be blind for good under that. To me it looks like an injury and nothing contagious, but I'm not expert. I would bring him inside and just do the normal wash hands before you eat and touch your own eyes kind of thing.

He can probably be saved and live with treatment, but if his beak is broken bad enough that he can't eat, and you don't want to spend hundreds at a vet, you might consider culling. I would look around the coop for evidence of a break in of a predator, or wire/holes where he could have gotten his head/eye stuck on while you were away.

8. rosco

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    someone has suggested avian pox. any thoughts? that would be very serious

he had numerous run-in's with sticker bushes, fly tape and fights with another chciken (play fights for pecking order).

9. rosco

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    taking the chicken to a vet in a few minutes. does anyone have experience in diagnosing avian pox?

10. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Good luck and saying prayers for the poor thing
    Keep us posted

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by