Tweety is Thirteen

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Coralee, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Coralee

Coralee Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    Woodbine Georgia
    Late December in1999 I went out to my dove pen for their daily feeding and to check on the nest I knew had eggs in it. A couple had hatched. Sadly there was one new hatched dove on the floor of the cage, not moving. I picked it up, and noticed it was still moving slowly, even though it was very cold. I also saw a small head wound where it had hit the floor of the cage, which meant no putting it back in the nest. I carried it into the house and set up a warm nest and made some baby dove food. He thrived, but has no interest in other doves. A birdkeeper once told me that being so young the dove may have imprinted on me. He's lived in the house ever since that day I brought him in from the cold. Tweety is quite a character, and the house would be a lot less interesting without him.

1 person likes this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good story. [​IMG]

3. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    Wow! Thirteen years old?! I'm glad you were there to save him !

4. Coralee

Nov 23, 2012
    Woodbine Georgia
    I've read somewhere that doves can live 15+ years, so tho he's getting up there in years, Tweety is still going strong.

5. Towman72gmc

Towman72gmc Chillin' With My Peeps

A friend had a Dragoon cock that lived to be 17. He raised young in his 16th year. One of his sons lived to 13.

1 person likes this.
  6. laughingdog

laughingdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    awww.. makes me miss my pidgy, that i partly hand raised along with the ringnecks i had before bought and rescued any other pigeons. i gave her away when had to move, as she was used to being alowed to be free, and didnt mind caging but felt wrong to confine her and her mate for as long as may have had to be. she was like a flying small dog.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  7. HouseCat

HouseCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Can we see a picture of Tweety?

8. Coralee

Nov 23, 2012
    Woodbine Georgia
    Every time I try to take his picture, all I get is a blur of white feathers flying towards the camera. I do have a video I took of him, and when I hope to get it uploaded soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by