Twenty week cockerel – Does he have his adult personality?

wordgirl

One of the Shire-folk
12 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Our BO cockerel is nearing the twenty-week mark, and is crowing, dancing for the girls (who pretty much simply ignore him), and I've seen him mount one of the girls. Does this mean he is mature? Is he going to keep the personality he has now? I would be quite happy, as he's very good with his girls, and is not mean at all to us – he is a little shy (or quiet) around people. I'm really hoping he's going to stay this way. What do you think?

Hmm. No one seems to have any opinions on this....
hmm.png

His personality may still change. If something happens that causes a scare in the flock, he may become a little too protective. I prefer a roo that is a bit shy around humans and keeps his distance.

I just dispatched a 22 week old BO cockerel who was fine up until about 18 weeks of age. Then he got nastier and nastier with my kids until they would not even go outside if the chickens were free ranging, and COULD not go near the chicken house to get eggs. He scratched my son's leg and left bruises on my daughter's and he didn't even have spurs yet.

Up until that time, he was sort of aloof, but never aggressive. Seems like once the girls started laying and letting him freely do his thing with them, he starting thinking he was king of the world.

Hoping yours stays nice. BO roos are beautiful, aren't they?

From my understanding he is still maturing up to one year of age, thus his personality could still change a bit, especially around 6 months. But BO roosters have a really good reputation for being nice roosters, I know I loved my BO/BR cross.

Quote:
I could have wrote this myself. Although mine are 17 weeks now,and for the last few days my Roo has been a terror. My kids are also afraid to go outside. They won't unless I'm out there. Now I can go no where with out my stick. He seeks me out. I can be waay away from him and the hens and when he sees me,here he comes running,ready to flog me. But,now that I carry a stick,when he sees me with that stick,he'll go the other way. Only took a couple times with the stick,and he seems to have learned.

What is this with mean BO roosters? I chose BO for our cock because I thought we would have a better chance at having a good natured one. And yet since then I've heard of so many people who had bad experiences with them. And the hens are so nice. What's your opinion on them – are there more good ones, or more not-so-great ones?

My BO roos (I have two) are the nicest, friendliest roos we've ever had......I take that back, my EE roo is most wondrous. My RIR roo on the other hand had better watch it or he WILL find a nice cozy home in my stew pot.

Back
Top Bottom