Twin banty chicks?! - - UPDATE Hatch Day 20

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jenski, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    It appears I have twin peeps dancing around in a bantam cochin frizzle egg. Today brings us to Day 11. I know there have been mostly failed attempts to bring twin eggs to term, and one or two successes.

However, until this morning I had never heard of banty twin embryos before! I have visited the other threads on this topic, and I'm wondering if any experienced folks have advice at this point. I am tempted to just wait and see, and perhaps just let Nature run its course.

?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  2. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    That would be so amazing if they hatched!! I saw on here a good thread about a double yolker hatching I can't remember where it was. I would say give them a chance you never know it may work!

3. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    One of my silkie eggs the other day was a double yolker. DIdn't know it until I opened it--would have loved to try and hatch it!

4. lilbreeches

lilbreeches Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Delight, AR
    definitely keep it in the bator. you never know, it may hatch two babies. [​IMG]

5. Jenski

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Well, there was at least one chick moving around on Day 14, although it's getting difficult to tell just what's going on in there now. As soon as I realized there were twins I moved the egg to the coolest part of the bator so it would slow things down just a bit.

I will keep you all posted on how this develops for informational purposes. Thanks to those who responded!

6. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Here is a video from youtube when someone else from BYC had that happen. Goodluck, -Jay link

7. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Oh and heres the thread about it, Thread.

8. Jenski

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Well, I candled last night, Day 18 -- looks like there's still somebody in there moving around! There's too much chick to tell exactly who's doing what.

I set the eggs for "final landing sequence," raised humidity to 68%, and crossed my fingers. Send good hatching vibes for the little ones!

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I wouldn't let the humidity get above 65. But that's just me.

10. Jenski

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Mahonri, you are quite right. The only reason I bumped it up just a tad this morning was because I had to leave for work, and over the course of the day the humidity has dropped 2 - 5%. It had already dropped 1 by the time I left.

Too bad pesky work gets in the way of my hatching! [​IMG]

BTW, what are you keeping yours for hatching? 60?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by