Twin chicken development

Josh40996

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2016
Hello,

This is the first time I am trying to hatch some chickens and am currently on day 18. About a week ago I noticed there were two foetuses in one of my eggs and have been keeping an eye on their development. I have noticed that they seem to be a couple days behind their brothers/sisters and I am wondering if this is to be expected? I know the chances of the twins both surviving are slim but am still hoping atleast one will survive.

Thanks

Hello,

This is the first time I am trying to hatch some chickens and am currently on day 18. About a week ago I noticed there were two foetuses in one of my eggs and have been keeping an eye on their development. I have noticed that they seem to be a couple days behind their brothers/sisters and I am wondering if this is to be expected? I know the chances of the twins both surviving are slim but am still hoping atleast one will survive.

Thanks

Rarely do they survive but it does happen. With less nourishment in the egg for two chicks, development could be delayed.

Yeah I thought it may be normal for a delayed development. Does this mean I should expect them to hatch at a later date or should they still hatch ontime? The incubator goes into lockdown tomorrow so I am alittle concerned about not rotating the egg if it is going to be a few more days before they hatch.

It's during the first week that its especially critical to be turning the eggs. Stopping a few days early wont matter at all if they are going to be late, and bantam eggs can hatch earlier so you usually put them in lockdown on day 17. That doesn't stop some coming later than day 21 though.

Good luck with this - let us know what happens.

Good luck, and definitely update. We have an egg in my daughter's classroom hatch that we are pretty sure has twins as well. It's still doing well at day 17 but I don't have high hopes.

Okay, i'll remember that for the future. I am thinking that it may be best for me to assist their hatching if they are to have the best chance of surviving, but a I am unsure about when I should. Should I plan on doing it on day 21 or later? They seemed to be around 3 days behind in development. Also, being soo squashed in the egg would they still be able to pip through the shell?

Last edited:
Anyone? Tomorrow is Day 21! When should I attempt to hatch the twin chicken egg? Will they pip on their own or is the egg too small?

Thanks!

Thanks, I am definitely going to need some. Its getting so close to hatch day and I still don't know when the twins should be hatched, so I am getting alittle nervous. My thinking is that even though they are physically smaller, they are still on day 20 of incubation and so should still be at the same stage of development and should be ready for hatching. Unless anyone can provide some insight, I will attempt to hatch them tomorrow and see how it goes. I am unsure if they will be able to pip through the shell so I might start assisting them after the other eggs have hatched?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom