Twin Chicks?

FuzzyCritters

Crowing
Mar 13, 2020
Kitsap county, WA
Are these twin chicks or am I missing something? The dark spot on the left is definitely a developing chick, it has an eye and a foot (but that's hard to see in the video). Is the dark spot on the right part of the chick or a second chick? What's the wierd gap between the two? The video was taken on day 12.

Are these twin chicks or am I missing something? The dark spot on the left is definitely a developing chick, it has an eye and a foot (but that's hard to see in the video). Is the dark spot on the right part of the chick or a second chick? What's the wierd gap between the two? The video was taken on day 12.
I don't think it's twins. Do you have any earlier candling pics? I'm just wondering if there's two yolks.

Sadly, no earlier candling pics. I don't think there are two yolks, because it's a normal sized bantam egg. Maybe though?
Ok. I would guess that you're seeing a type of illusion then. The chick can really stretch out in there, and the yolk can obstruct the middle making it look like 2 separate "masses".
I have seen it before in ducks around day 10.
Never in chickens, but I hatch way more ducks than chickens. Keep us posted on how it goes.
I'll see if I can find any of my pics of when it looks like twins in my duck eggs.

Ok. I would guess that you're seeing a type of illusion then. The chick can really stretch out in there, and the yolk can obstruct the middle making it look like 2 separate "masses".
I have seen it before in ducks around day 10.
Never in chickens, but I hatch way more ducks than chickens. Keep us posted on how it goes.
I'll see if I can find any of my pics of when it looks like twins in my duck eggs.
That makes a lot of sense. I'm glad it probably isn't a twin, I don't want it to have any hatching or development problems. I will update in a few more days to see if it changes.

That makes a lot of sense. I'm glad it probably isn't a twin, I don't want it to have any hatching or development problems. I will update in a few more days to see if it changes.
No problem. Yeah, real twins almost never make it unfortunately.
Looking forward to the update! Hopefully it does well.
I can't find any of my pics atm.

Back
Top Bottom