Twin Chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kristy in WA, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Kristy in WA

Kristy in WA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Eastern Washington
    Ok, from everything I've read, it seems like what she is doing is wrong. I thought you weren't really supposed to help the chicks out of the egg? I'm just curious what everyone thinks of this video. Kristy

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    This is one of our members and she did a great job with them. They couldn't get out b/c they only had each other to push against instead of the hard shell. It's not wrong to help chicks out, just a matter of personal preference. You just have to realize that they may be weak and die anyways, or they could do great and grow up to do great things! I usually have 1 or so in each hatch that needs help for one reason or another...sometimes they make it and sometimes they don't, but at least I gave them a fighting chance.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Double yolkers are the big exception. They don't hatch without help, and Rebecka did a marvelous job didn't she?

4. chickenlove2009

chickenlove2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Woodlawn, Tn
    she had no choice in the matter if she wanted them to live. most likely they would have both died if she had not helped. people have different oppinions about wether or not to help, it just depends on the person. if i was her i would have done the same i am all for saving a life if i can. plus she is one if the very very few people who has had a successful twin hatch. when she had a post up about it when her babies were hatching nearly everyone was supportive.

5. Kristy in WA

Kristy in WA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Eastern Washington
    Thanks so much for the responses! I wasn't trying to be critical, but was just curious since everything I've read says not to help. I'm glad to know that twin chicks would need help because I wouldn't have known what to do. It must have been very exciting when she realized there were 2 in there! I think it said in the youtube comments area that they both lived and grew up just fine! How wonderful! Kristy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by