Twin ducklings one Yoke( pictures)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Faithfarm, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Faithfarm

Faithfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2008
    Alger,MI
    Hi I had a strange thing happen to me this morning. I was hatching duck eggs and they were pipping. Yesterday I was making sure all had air holes so they could breath. Yesterday would have been 4 weeks. We have 6 eggs that were hatching.
    I was checking on them this morning one was not moving.[​IMG] I opened him up more hoping that it was ok. I saw know movement so I decided to open the egg up to see how much yoke was left. I thought this would help to know if I needed to help the other ducklings. To my amazement there were not one but two ducklings in the egg. :/This was a normal size duck egg and they were sharing the same yoke. The twins were fully developed and normal. Has any one ever heard of this? I have been hatching eggs for years and never seen it myself. Here are the pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I've heard of it ,and I don't think they live. sorry for your loss.

3. DuckLover9138

DuckLover9138 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Wow! Tell us if it lives. I hope it does!

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Oh my gosh I am sorry, I took it that they didn't make it. I hope they have and did.

5. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    Oooh, that is so sad. [​IMG]

6. Faithfarm

Faithfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2008
    Alger,MI
    Yes sorry they died:( I so wish they would of made it. It would have been so amazing

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:oh I am sorry, it's amazing they made it till fully developed inside that normal size egg.

8. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    There was someone here (I think it was Duckyfromoz) who almost hatched 2 ducklings just like yours. But, Ducky's egg was very large. They almost made it, too. Sorry about yours, though, they would have been beautiful.

9. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    [​IMG] So sorry they didnt make it... It would have been such an incredibly rare occurence if they had. Yes Darlene - You are correct- I had a huge double yolker last year that got to the point of pipping.

Hatching from a double yolker is rare enough...but it certainly looks that these were identicle twins sharing the same yolk - I havent heard of that ever resulting in a live hatch. I did read a story where someone had a certain number of eggs in a nest and the mother was later walking around with her ducklings which numbered one more than the number of eggs...

Thanks for posting Faithfarm - Its very interesting to see.

10. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    Ooo never heard of IDENTICAL twin in the same egg, just fraternal. Very interesting/cool but makes me sad at the same time [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by