1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Twin Silkie embryos, but I do not see an air sac at day 12, should I see one by now?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Carriedz, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Carriedz

Carriedz Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    California
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/627837/help-twin-embryos-in-a-blue-silkie-egg
    I was so surprised at there being two, it took a friend to point out she did not see an air sac. There is some clear yolk area around the chicks but I do not see an air sac at the large end. Should there be one on a silkie by day 12?

The bottom looks clear but it does not look like the other air sacs on eggs I have hatched.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  2. Carriedz

Feb 9, 2012
    California
    Day 13, can barely see anything but shadows moving and the air sack is becoming more visible now.

3. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

with all the handling the hatch might run a little long- what are your temps at now?

4. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    I wish you would just have one thread on this...I don't know which one to follow.

5. Carriedz

Feb 9, 2012
    California
  6. Carriedz

Feb 9, 2012
    California
    I have kept the temp at 99.5 throughout, I just lowered the humidity to 20 to 30 percent to try and discourage moisture gain in the egg. Tomorrow I am going back up to 40-50%, then on Saturday 65% with temp lowered to 98 degrees, then hatch on Sunday. As above I am going to be staying on the original thread. Thanks for any help.

7. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by