Twine Swallowing Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SouthernBYChickens, Dec 12, 2011.

1. SouthernBYChickens

SouthernBYChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Alabama
    So today when I get home from work, I go out to check on my chicks (4 weeks old) as I do every afternoon after work and before work in the mornings. I quickly notice one of the RIRs has a piece of yellow twine hanging out of her mouth. I recognize the twine because I used it originally to put together the pen to keep them in. I abandoned the twine for wire in order to attach the panels together. At the time, I thought the twine I left on the panels was harmless. Big mistake - she had swallowed it. As I slowly begin to pull it out, I realize it is well past her mouth and more than likely down in her "innards". She allowed me to pull it out very slowly and by the time I got it all out, I had pulled around a foot of twine out of her. I watched her for a while and was relieved to find her eating and drinking just like the others. Hopefully, it didn't cause any damage. Lesson to be learned - never leave anything in the coop or pen that you wouldn't want your chicks to swallow, cause they definitely will.[​IMG]

2. johnson215

johnson215 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    bunnlevel, nc
    i'm glad everything is alright... they sure can get into things.. i'm going to make sure my brooder is safe.....[​IMG]

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    The chicks will everything they are attracted to and they can get in their mouth!!!

[​IMG] to the site!!!

4. whitejerabias

whitejerabias Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2011
    Hmm... I have a human baby that works in similar ways.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by