Twins..... Half and half?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WildWyandott110, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Hey all.
    My hen went broody on a double yolker two weeks ago. Today I did my final candle and one of the chicks is developing normally, while the other is just a yolk. Not sure what to do... really want this chick alive. Has anyone had this happen before? Will post pics soon.

The Phantom likes this.
  2. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!!

Jan 9, 2017
    SE Wisconsin
    Interesting

3. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    The problem with double yolkers is that the undeveloped side starts to break down and can cause bacterial issues for the embryo that is developing. Other more informed folks will be coming along @Pyxis, @WVduckchick, @KikisGirls

WVduckchick and JaeG like this.
  4. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Free Ranging

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    It's not a good idea to try and hatch those. Most often even if one does start developing, it will die. It's just not normal.

JaeG likes this.
  5. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I think it's common for us to think "Hey, double yolker, twins would be neat", but it's so rare for both to hatch, and many times neither hatch. I doubt there is much you can do, especially with it being with a broody hen. She may help it out, depends on the broody.
    If you would consider taking the egg from momma and finishing in the incubator, assisting the hatch would be possible, but still not a whole lot more likely to improve the possible outcome.
    I'd say wish her luck!

Pyxis likes this.
  6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Agreed with WV. Incubating a double yolker is a lesson in frustration and disappointment. I think I'd be inclined to remove it from the clutch, the moment I knew it was a double. When setting eggs, you can avoid this issue by following the time honored recommendation: don't set those HUGE eggs. Choose eggs that are of average size and shape for the breed.

WVduckchick likes this.
  7. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    X3, unfortunately double yolkers very often do not hatch.

WVduckchick likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: