twins ????? help

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by stroudy36, Jan 1, 2015.

1. stroudy36

stroudy36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2014
    have an egg with possible twins in . It's a bantam egg though. Will it survive. Also my bantam hen was mounted as such by a light Sussex any idea on whether chick will be large or small. Or could that the reason why ithink possible twins. Any info greatly appreciated

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Merry Christmas! Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

What is it that makes you think the egg has twins in? Double yolk eggs are usually quite large. Is your bantam egg on the large side for a bantam? Also what day are you on? Has your temp been on the high side? Sometimes running the incubator a little too hot can cause larger chicks within the egg.
    Posting some pics of your egg when you candle in this section of the forum so other members can take a look would also help you to get an answer. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-amp-hatching-eggs

Hope you enjoy BYC :frow

1 person likes this.
  3. stroudy36

Dec 30, 2014
    [​IMG]

4. stroudy36

Dec 30, 2014
    [​IMG][/IMG]

5. stroudy36

Dec 30, 2014
    [​IMG]

Sorry not that clear camera is pants. Roughly day 8 or 9

6. stroudy36

Dec 30, 2014
    [​IMG]

7. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    I think from your pics you have just one embryo but as you said pics are not that clear. Here are some candling pics for you to take a look at to compare your egg too https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=230 they are good clear pics on this link hope it helps you.

8. stroudy36

Dec 30, 2014
    I get confused as my other egg from same day isn't as far devloped whether it stopped growth or not. Or could it be bigger as it could be light Sussex cross. If so will it grow to large for egg

9. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Could this egg you are not sure about have been sat on by a hen before you started incubation? Also your other egg is it of the same breeding as this egg? I'm not sure the chick would grow to big because of your roo. It should grow for the size of the egg but then again I don't do cross breeds. Let me check that out. Or as you say the other could be a quitter. Then on the other hand all chicks, eggs, breed and incubation conditions individual. From one of your pics it looks like you have only one yolk in there so that would mean one embryo.

10. stroudy36

Dec 30, 2014
    Ok thanks for your help will post if hatch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by