Twin's!!!! Need advice.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chichero, May 2, 2017.

1. Chichero

Chichero Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2017
    USA
    I am certain one of my hatching eggs has two embryos in it. I saw two dark spots on day 7 but i didn't think it would make it this far into incubation. Lock down is on Wednesday. At last candling they were moving well and again I swear there are two heart beats ! Will it need help? Should I let nature take it's course? They have to be tiny being two of them in one space. I'd like to save them if there is the slightest chance but I've never helped a chick out. They are standard Salmon Faverolles not bantams i have been hatching so they shouldn't be micro chicks.

Also i have one whose cell air looks like a saddle bag across the top. Again Chick seems fine. Will this one need extra care? Thank goodness i schedule hatching on weekends. Lol...
    Thanks for any advice. I never encountered these problems before.

2. CityKidChickens

CityKidChickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2016
    What probably is going to happen is that either one will hatch and the other dies or they both die. It is extremely rare for them both to live. Sorry.

3. Emilys3guppies

Emilys3guppies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    Toronto
    I'm sorry to say that chances are very good that if they have survived this long, they will be deformed and unable to hatch.

4. Chichero

Apr 9, 2017
    USA
    I figured their chances were slim to none... Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

5. Chichero

Apr 9, 2017
    USA
    twins hatched on their own sometime last night. They are very small don't look deformed but not nearly as active as the rest. So I'm still not hopeful.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    But they hatched! And they're both still alive and not deformed! That is a good start. They may get stronger as they grow, you never know. I'm pulling for the little guys! [​IMG]

7. Erka97

Erka97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2017
    Congratulations on them at least surviving to this point! I guess it's even harder to hatch twin chicks from a non-double yolk egg.
    I'd keep them in the incubator and use that as a sort of "chick NICU" depending on the size of the incubator you can either start feeding them in there or take them out every few hours to offer food and water.
    Though I've never tried to hatch twins -none of my hens seem to be laying double eggs anymore-, I've done this for a chick I had that was malpositioned and had to be peeled out of her egg in order for her to breathe. She did nothing at all for an entire day, in fact my family at first thought she was dead, but eventually she got stronger -she was just always smaller than the others. As long as they don't look badly deformed, there's still a chance for them.

8. Hybridchucks

Hybridchucks Overrun With Chickens

Jul 13, 2016
    England :P
    My Coop
    Congrats!!!! Can can we have a pic!! [​IMG]

9. Chichero

Apr 9, 2017
    USA
    I'll take photos soon.

10. Hybridchucks