Twins?? Surely not?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mustangrooster, Feb 8, 2017.

1. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

So i Candled all 13 eggs that are on different stages and there are doing good.

This egg has me thinking, i candled at a early stage and i swore i saw 2 embryos, but i thought "of course not" because i candled all eggs before i set them to make sure i didn't have any double yolkers.

I candled last night and saw two figures moving, again this morning i checked and it does look like twins!! Uh oh!

[​IMG]

The camera does not pick up any light (and its a dark shell) so its hard to see them on the pics, otherwise its clear as daylight. Is it possible for two embryos to develop on one yolk??

Help???

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    What do you mean by "different stages"?? Have some eggs been in the incubator longer than others??

I guess anything is possible, but I have never seen that??

3. mustangrooster

Yes, they have...long story...it is a reasonably large egg, i really dont want to deal with hatching Twins, however..

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Sounds like a real adventure....staggered hatch and possible twins.....I'll follow along.

1 person likes this.
  5. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Low percentage that it will hatch, so let it incubate.

6. mustangrooster

I have 3 that go into lockdown tomorrow, possible duck eggs on day 3-4 a couple of eggs on day 11 one on day 15 and the rest in between. And now possible twins....im amazed by it but unsure of what to do.

ETA: There was also another egg which i was pretty sure had twins but it died.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Do you have a separate hatcher?

8. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Sounds interesting. Like aart asked, do you have a separate hatcher? Or maybe you can make one?

9. mustangrooster

Yes i have a separate hatcher, but its a old one, so on lockdown i'll keep the 3 eggs in the new 'bator and put the other eggs in the old one...

Was about to throw away the egg i thought was dead, candled it, saw one embryo on one side of the egg, and another on the other side of the egg...thats two eggs with supposedly twins. I just need to know how to get a clear photo for proof [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  10. mustangrooster

GUYS....

I soon lost track of which egg i thought had twins..

Now at lockdown i have one cheeping from the fat end of the egg...and another cheeping from the small end of the egg....That cant be the same chick??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by