1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Twins!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jharper, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Jharper

Jharper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Tifton, Ga
    I have a double yolk in the incubator right now and both yolks are fertilized, and I'm at week two. They are growing still. Would they need assistance on hatching out? If so what are some suggestions?

1 person likes this.
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  3. Jharper

Oct 20, 2012
    Tifton, Ga
    Thank you! I hope they both live and this is my first time incubating chicken eggs. I have raised quail eggs in an incubator when I was younger.

4. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri

That wouldbe cool twins but i have read that twins cant survive as they run out of room in the shell. Someone said they assited hatch and got one but they claim the other always dies ..but never say never in life.
    Good luck to your twins hope they BOTH make it

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I've heard of twin hatches where both survived, so I'll give them a chance and hope for the best. [​IMG] they'll beat the odds!

6. SymanSaysFarms

SymanSaysFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2012
    Connecticut, USA
    Just wanted to say good luck with your twins!!! I, too, have heard of a successful twin hatching (with assistance) but it's really rare. Keep us posted on how they're doing!

7. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    normally one dies or both die before you ever get them to hatch. best to not set double yolk eggs cause thats a heck of stink bomb if it goes bad and can risk the entire hatch

8. Jharper

Oct 20, 2012
    Tifton, Ga
    I mean its a pretty big egg, though. I hope they won't die. Because I am so excited to have twins. I will keep a close eye on them.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  9. Chicken Tamer

Chicken Tamer Overrun With Chickens

Jul 10, 2012
    On The Couch (-:P
    Ohhhh! Cant wait for them to hatch!

10. bazwould

bazwould New Egg

Oct 13, 2012
    We had twins hatch but as we have never had chickens before we didnt know it was rare. The both surrvived . Unfortunetly Savron was bitten by a snake and died at 8 months old. We still have Lucretius who yesterday hatched her own chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by