twist in the to refrige eggs or not debate

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NC Chicken Gal, Oct 16, 2009.

1. NC Chicken Gal

NC Chicken Gal Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2009
    Ok, so I plan on NOT putting my eggs in the fridge, at least not yet. Heres something that popped up in my mind the other day....

Ok, the weather is getting colder now...I collect eggs once a day (usually in the evening) If the eggs are sitting outside...in the cold...should I put them in the fridge? In other words, after they are already cold from being outside, is it ok to leave then on the counter and warm back up to room temp?

2. AmyRey

AmyRey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2009
    I think they'll be okay, but will defer to those more knowledgeable than myself.

3. NC Chicken Gal

NC Chicken Gal Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2009
    I was really just curious. I imagine they would be fine, but since I am new to this, thought I would ask

4. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    don't you know you're sposed to spend every waking moment doting on your girls and rush out there and get that egg while it's still warm!!!

5. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    [​IMG]

6. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Yes, it's o.k. to let your eggs stay at room temperature even after they have been cold. If they freeze, that's different. You can keep them frozen, but they act different after freezing, and you'll want to use them for baking or scrambled eggs only.

7. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    Quote:[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] So sad, but on days I don't work this is exactly what I do.

8. eastbaychicks

eastbaychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Livermore
    Wait a second, who doesn't put eggs in the fridge?

9. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:lots of people. eggs will do fine at room temperature for quite a while. and they're also better to bake with when used at room temperature.

10. Terri

Terri Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Level Cross, NC
    i don't put my eggs in the fridge for a day or so, my pawpaw never put them in the fridge, they were always in basket on the counter, then he would eat em or hatch em

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by