Twisted and swollen hock joint, pics to follow

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Alfred's Mama, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Alfred's Mama

Alfred's Mama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    After a big struggle with my silkie Alfred I found out he has rickets caused by malabsorption syndrome, his strength and appetite has improved and his respiritory infection has gone, he's gained his lost weight and is so much more alert, he just has one major problem now, his left hock joint and the foot below it. It looks very swollen and very slightly twisted and when he tries to walk it crosses infront of the other at an angle, he can stumble a few steps at best. He is on metacam for the swelling and uses a suspension chair when his weight needs to be off it, I was just wondering if there is absolutely anything I can do now at all, I want him walking again so badly, the vet advised against splinting and said it would be painful and ineffective because of his age so I can't do that, could some sort of hock support be helpful or should I not put anything around it because of the swelling? I'll do anything, even surgery if someone could advise me if there is such a thing? Hoping someone will advise me soon or bump, he's my only chicken and I love him too much to give up now!

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Is he in pain??? Poor guy. I don't know what to tell you to do. Just wanted to give you a bump! I hope no one "yells" at me!

3. Alfred's Mama

Alfred's Mama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    I don't think he is in pain as he's on metacam, the vet said it'll take care of the swelling plus any pain - although it's having a tough time bringing the swelling down [​IMG]

If I pick him up and have a good look like seeing if he can bend or straighten the leg he will try and pull the leg away and whimper, I think so long as it's not being messed with he's comfortable. I have more bad news about his hock after I had a good examine last night, the leg can't fully straighten, it can fold fully the other way so he has no trouble sitting down, but the one he can't straighten sticks forward slightly and a little bent across starting from the hock, could that be the swelling? His toes are very crooked and the vet told me they're never going to get any better, I splinted them so many times from him being small even for long periods but the bones never took to the new form. I feel likeI'm fighting a losing battle, but when I woke up this morning on the sofa (I've taken to sleeping downstairs to keep an eye on him) I heard a peeping and a shuffle, I opened my eyes to see Alfred right next to my hand, he cried to be picked up so I cuddled him a while and he fell asleep; it reminded me to be grateful that at least he's still with me. Thanks for the bump!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by