Twisted Leg??? 2 wk old chick, Advise Please!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by funfeatheredfeet, Jul 28, 2010.

1. funfeatheredfeet

funfeatheredfeet Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    The Beautiful Ozarks
    This chick was big when it hatched. Its leg was in a precarious position right from the start. It looked like a splayed leg so my hubby and I banded the legs (as I read from this site). We kept checking the legs every other day and changing the banding. No matter what, we could not get the leg to not stick straight out to the left of the chicks body. After trying to help the chick for 10 days, I removed the banding and we were actually looking closer at the joint and it seems the legs joint is double the size of the right leg. The left leg seems to be facing completely to the left! Plus, we can bend the leg and the chick does not seem to mind at all....just it bends back and forth facing left! I don't know if I am describing this so anyone understands....but, I have a question. Should we cull this chick? He is a beautiful Barred-Rock but his leg sticks out to the left and he hops around on the right leg, using the left leg/foot like a cane. I put him in with all his hatchmates during the day (I find he does ok but if the chicks spook for any reason, they tend to run right over his leg.) He doesn't seem to be in pain, but, what do I know. I want to know if anyone has kept a chick in this condition and if it could live a long life? It sits alot with its leg resting out to the left. I have seen the chick with the leg bent in a bit when it sits sometimes. He eats, drinks and flutters with his wings flapping in the morning when all the others are stretching their wings. Oh....what to do?? I don't know what is best. Can someone help us....this is my first disabled chick.....we are new at this! Thanks for any help!

2. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Why dont you go to the vet (or someone who can stand it) and amputate?

3. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I am mostly opposed to drastic measures... so let's start slow. How many chicks do you have? The reason I ask is that if you have a lot of chicks then this little guy could easily get plowed down in some freak chick explosion of energy. Under those circumstances I would suggest separating him with one or two quieter friends until you work out a more permanent solution. If you have fewer than five or six chicks then leave them as a group but put a three-sided box in the brooder so he has a safe place to nest out of the fray.

He might do just fine as he is, using this leg as a cane, eating, drinking, growing. If he doesn't seem to be distressed and gets along with his hatch-mates, I would just leave him be while continuing to research solutions.

Can you show us a clear picture of his legs? Somebody on here might well have seen this before and can offer a valuable solution.

Best of Luck,
    Jenny

4. funfeatheredfeet

funfeatheredfeet Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    The Beautiful Ozarks
    Oh, Bless you girls for trying to help me. I will say that hubby and I made a small "brooder/chicken tractor" where I have had the chick and two other playmates to keep it company. I have only put him out with the others (makes 12 total when they are all together) the past two days. This afternoon, I moved 9 of the chicks into another brooder pen that is down at my coop and I kept the chick and the same two playmates he has been with since birth in the brooder/tractor. In talking with my hubby tonight, I was wondering if I should switch out the playmates, maybe rotate with a couple others every few days so the same two playmates that have been with it since birth could socialize with the whole brood and at the same time "Lefty" could get socialized with the whole brood little by little. Each time he was in with the whole group, they never seemed to pick on "Lefty"....but, I know they are young.

As far as amputating....ooohh, have you ever known anyone to have a one legged chicken? I don't know....Hubby has a disabled man on his crew (his hand) and this man in the most productive person to have on a maintenance crew. So, we don't know what to do....could this chick grow to be normal just gimpy legged? I'd hate to cull it just because it has a disabled leg. But, then again, would it be smarter to do that than to make it...not be a regular part of the brood, keeping it in a special pen it's whole life with a few friends staying overnite every few days? I feel I sound like a nut! (sigh...)
    What would you do if you had this little one in this situation?

5. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I would do exactly what you are doing -- I think amputating is a mistake in this case. Somebody had a chick hatch with two extra legs -- that would be a good case for amputating. If he's using the leg as a cane then clearly he needs it.

Twelve chicks are quite a few... are you home with them where you can check on them often?

Obviously you care about this little guy and you are trying to do the right thing for him... here's what I would do -- If you are working and can't check on him often, I would keep him and a few playmates separated for most of the day. Then for a few hours in the evening include him and his buddies with the group. At bed time separate along with his buddies him.

As I think of this I wonder if I wouldn't be inclined to keep him with the same two buddies during these transitions so that they bond really well.

Let us know how he does,
    Jenny

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by