Twisted leg..Need advice ASAP

GermanKennhuhn

Crossing the Road
8 Years
Oct 10, 2015
New England
I brought home a chick with a twisted leg from the feed store today. The owner said her legs were normal on arrival, they noticed they were twisted later. A friend of hers splinted the leg, and advised to leave it on for 3 days, and try to keep her standing in a cup.
I need some opinions on the splint. The owner said the leg was twisted completely, being dragged behind the chick.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I’m concerned about how the joint is bent. It can bend in the correct direction, but only with help.
image.jpg

S/he is much smaller than the other. According to the owner, they’re 6 days old. S/he willingly drinks from a spoon, but need help eating. I’m giving her Nutri-Drench, probiotics, and electrolytes.
She also has trouble pooping. All droopings get stuck on her backside.
Should I remove the splint? Put a new one on?
Or is it more humane to cull? She chirps like she’s in pain when the hock is bent.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Leg bone deformities such as a twisted tibia and varus valgus deformities which can affect one or both legs are usually not treated successfully. A slipped tendon is hard to treat as well, but some people have had some success with putting the tendon in place and splinting. It is important to first decide what exactly the problem is. A chicken sling made out of a sock or other materials, can be used to get the chick upright to eat and drink. A small wineglass is sometimes helpful to stand the chick in to help strengthen it’s leg. I am not an expert at all on these things, but here is some resding that you can do:

https://www.chickenheavenonearth.co...u-can-do-to-help-chicken-heaven-on-earth.html

Start at post 12:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/peachick-with-slipped-tendon.1092979/page-2

Leg bone deformities such as a twisted tibia and varus valgus deformities which can affect one or both legs are usually not treated successfully. A slipped tendon is hard to treat as well, but some people have had some success with putting the tendon in place and splinting. It is important to first decide what exactly the problem is. A chicken sling made out of a sock or other materials, can be used to get the chick upright to eat and drink. A small wineglass is sometimes helpful to stand the chick in to help strengthen it’s leg. I am not an expert at all on these things, but here is some resding that you can do:

https://www.chickenheavenonearth.co...u-can-do-to-help-chicken-heaven-on-earth.html

Start at post 12:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/peachick-with-slipped-tendon.1092979/page-2
Thanks for the reply!
A bone deformity did come to mind, but the twisted leg developed after she arrived at the feed store. That led me to think it's more likely a slipped tendon or an injury.
I'll try the sling, thanks!
I believe today is the third day the splint is on. Should I remove it to see if there's any improvement, and to get better pictures?

I removed her splint to see what’s going on. Here’s the pictures.
56B862E5-E4BC-4540-B871-0E607736DF90.jpeg
5A428FE2-EC39-447B-A8E3-E2D0D11D15BA.jpeg

The joint is definitely bent the wrong way. She can’t stand, and prefers to lay on her belly or side.
From the description the owner gave me, she seems to have improved. She said the leg was twisted completely backwards. However, I wonder if the joint problem is from sitting in a cup.
Does anyone have ideas for a splint? I’m still thinking.
She’s constantly chirping like she’s in pain. Is there a chance I’ll get her legs to straighten out? Or is it more humane to cull?

Ok, so here’s what I came up with.
B3AFB789-BE6E-4325-8CF1-16FD80CD0AA3.jpeg

Thoughts? She’s still unable to stand, so I think I might try a cup. The sling freaked her out.

I do think that you may be better off culling her if her leg is completely backwards. There is no splinting that helps leg bone deformities. It sounds like she is in pain. Sorry, but not all of these chicks will survive.
Thanks for the reply. Her leg is no longer completely backwards, the only thing left to correct is the joint. However, I think I agree with you. She’s weaker than before. I might wait until tomorrow, to see if she improves, before making the decision.

Back
Top Bottom