twisted neck buff...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cackleberryhead, Jan 2, 2013.

1. cackleberryhead

cackleberryhead Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2010
    SE North Carolina
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Anyone know what could cause this buff to have a twisted neck? She is one of 60 hens and the only one having this issue. I don't see anything on the surface that could cause it...maybe I need to look in her ears>>?
    She has access to plenty of fresh water like the others...otherwise seems healthy. She's been this way for about 4 days..

Thanks for any feedback.
    Oh by the way....Happy New Year everyone!!

2. upitty

upitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Not to scare you but I would isolate the bird! Immediatly! She may have Newcastle Disease! Please research! Your whole flock may be at risk!

3. upitty

4. cackleberryhead

cackleberryhead Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2010
    SE North Carolina
    Thanks for the information on Newcastle disease. I will read up on it now! I did isolate her today. She has had this for a few days now.

Congrats on the 69th post![​IMG]

Will try to follow up later and let all know what becomes of her and us...
    Thanks again.

5. upitty

No problem. I'll do a bit more research as well. :)

6. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    New Castle disease (which looks like the case) is spread from bird to bird by inhaling/ingesting the virus from infected birds from food, water and in the air. It's good you isolated her.

If she survives she can be a carrier for a month or so. Keep her warm and well fed. (Prop her head up to feed and water) Some people just cull the infected ones.

7. upitty

I'm sorry there hasn't been more replies. I wish I could hel more. How's she doing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by