Twisted neck chicken

happychicken

Chirping
15 Years
Mar 26, 2008
I have a banty hen who is about 6 months old. She came over here from the neighbors so I don't know much about her or her breed.
In the last week or so her neck has started to twist so much that her head is now upsidedown most of the time. She obviously can't eat or drink so will die but what concerns me is what's wrong with her.
I've looked in my chicken health book but aside from "twisted leg", I can find nothing that fits.
The rest of my flock seem ok (they are not banty chickens). I have old ones and young ones of various breeds.
Anyone have any ideas?

sHE MIGHT BE A SILKIE AND HAS NERVE DAMAGE AN needs Vit E and B complex immediately
it will make her so she will get use of her neck again
you will however NEED to take a eye dropper and feed her water with apple cider vinegar
give her 1000 mg of capsule liquid Vit E by cutting the end of the capsule and taking the vitE pill and let the oil un into her beak
maybe stretching the neck some so it will go down
also need to crush a vit B complex pill in a tbsp and put it into a tsp of water and put it in her mouth after it is disolved

If you xhoose to let her die I understand
but there is doubts that it will hurt your flock

generally the shock of a new arrangement will cause chickens especially bantams to have this nerve damage
and you probably didn't notice it soon enough
you can email by PM for more information and include this inf so I remember what is happening

Follow the advice of dlhunicorn; she's the MOST informed person on BYC for chicken illnesses/injuries!! Good luck with your girl!

I'm very concerned my girl has this twisted neck problem. She just started with symptoms a day ago. I have her isolated, but she's very lathargic not eating, twisted neck

What can I do at home to cure her???

Cheryl, please click the link below and read about this symptom
http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=emergencies&action=display&num=1160928615

Although it is possible for a breed without the skull anomaly that silkies and polish have to have a head injury, the twisted neck can also be a sign of toxin (food. plants/mycotoxin/fungal toxin) or diverse other primary causes .
Please give us some basic info on how your bird is housed, when you last wormed her, is she laying, is she in molt (or recently has molted), the weather conditions and housing conditions etc. and what she eats (incl. any "treats").
First thing you do is to go to the drugstore and get some POLYVISOL Enfamil formulation > this is a liquid childrens A-B-D vitamin (get the one without the extra iron) > give four drops in beak once a day for a week then taper off the next.
P R I C K open a human vitE pill (anything more than 400 IU will not be absorbed by the bird without added selenium > if you get the vitE/selenium combo tabs be sure the amount of selenium does NOT exceed 50 MICROgrams per tab as selenium has a very narrow therapeutic range). Give the contents of one tab once a day for max three days and then see if there is any improvement.

YOU MUST ENSURE THE BIRDS DRINKS SUFFICIENTLY (dehydration will kill your bird quicker than what is originally ailing it!) >>> Do not "squirt" water into her beak (the bird MUST swallow the water on its own), just dribble along side of beak while supporting her neck .

Back
Top Bottom