Twisted neck, frail, not eating

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by favoritekitty, Nov 17, 2010.

1. favoritekitty

favoritekitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Percy is about 8 months old now and has never been quite right. A small buff girl. We got her from a very reputable silkie breeder, and for free, because her beak was twisted. In fact her whole body was slightly off kilter. There has always had a slight kink in her neck and seemed to be pulling it down and towards her body ever since she came here. She ate right away for us and didnt seem to have difficulty eating even with the slight cross to her beak. Once in a while I would catch her moving her head in a manner that could be called "star gazing". It will go towards the sky slowly, she will bring it back, and she'll do this a few times. She is and always has been a slow girl, though. She has progressively gotten worse with her stance and now will not stretch her neck at all. She has not been wanting to eat or drink and just sits where we put her. She does have a problem with her balance and will try to correct herself with her wings. Her stools seem normal but I swear they are smellier than usual. They are drier than normal, though. Her vet isnt in until Friday so I was really hoping for some thoughts before then. I have her inside with us and we have been trying to give her regual of mix of grains, yogurt and giving her water with garlic in it with a dropper. What else would you suggest for her?

2. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    Polyvisol child's vitamins without iron, (a few drops daily) kaytee hand feeding formula for caged birds mixed with boiled egg yolk and if she seems weak, use pedialyte instead of water. It sounds like she has some neurological problems, but they are not necessarily connected to what is going on with her now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by