twisted/wry neck newborn chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jaxchic, Oct 2, 2013.

1. jaxchic

jaxchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2013
    Florida
    This baby pipped in the morning yesterday, but didn't hatch until about eleven at night. I checked on it this morning and it looked like this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It was hatched by a mama hen. It was perfectly fine last night. Moved it's head about just fine. My boyfriend thinks that maybe mama hen sat on it while she was asleep and that's what bent it's neck. Idk.
    After reading the forum I got some polyvisol (without iron) and some savachick electrolytes. I didn't see it drink but I managed to get a drop or two of the vitamins in it.
    I don't know what else I can do.
    Any help or advice is appreciated.
    Is there a possibility that her squishing him could have caused this? My boyfriend wants me to remove it from her, but I don't have a brooder ready, and she keeps him warm, and he gets to be around it's sibling(s) one born day before,and one is pipping as I speak.
    Is it possible to give it a little brace? And if I can, what would be the best anti inflammatory ?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    While I don't think the outlook is good, you can always try; some folks have succeeded.

Here are some other people's experiences with it:
    Quote: Quote: Quote: I've raised many hundreds of chicks under their mothers and not one has ever had wry neck despite them being stepped on and worse. I don't believe this is able to be caused by a hen sitting on a baby, unless perhaps she sat on it all night and it cramped that way, but then I'd expect it to be suffocated, not alive.

If you separate it, the mother will forget it and reject it and you'll have to raise it by hand --- if she doesn't kill it. A brace won't let it eat and drink normally. But separating it may be necessary for treatment.

One important thing to consider is that if you raise animals, you will always end up, sooner or later, faced with an infant that requires a mercy cull. So you need to prepare yourself in advance or find someone who will do it for you... Ideally that person would be you to administer on the spot mercy rather than, for example, have a disemboweled chick waiting a day or two for mercy. It's not a nice thing, but necessary. Excuse my plain language, but holding the body in one hand and taking the head with the other, and removing it with a very quick strong separating movement of the hands, is the best way I've found. But I hope it doesn't come to that in this case.

Maybe someone has some more helpful info for you. Best wishes.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  4. jaxchic

jaxchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2013
    Florida
    [​IMG]
    Good news..while he still prefers to tilt his neck to the right, he does straighten it out pretty well. I have seen it eat And drink.
    Sometimes he still tucks the head and tumbles around, but he seems a little more steady on his feet.
    (its the chick farthest left)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  5. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Good to hear. It seems you may have a happy ending to this. Best wishes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by