Twisting Neck, Floppy Comb- PLEASE HELP!!!UPDATE

mylilchix

Songster
11 Years
Jun 11, 2008
Front Range, Colorado
When I let our birds out this morning everyone was running around like normal. By 10am my son noticed that one of our RIR was acting funny. She was laying on the floor the coop by herself. When I got out there was was still on the floor. I've brought her inside and noticed that her comb is very floppy. We've been giving her drinks of water, but she seems really weak and keeps shutting her eyes. What else I can I do for, and what's going on? Please help!!

Thanks, Sonja

Last edited:
She's in a box in the basement now. I've been getting her to drink and it seems like she's eaten a little. Her poo is completely normal. She does keep twisting her neck funny. Other than that she's very alert. I'd love some advice!!

Sonja

Here are a couple of pictures of her.

11768_eggies_004.jpg

11768_eggies_003.jpg

I would keep her in a small cage or dog/cat carrier in the house until you can identify the problem. Keep the food and water right in front of her, and keep her warm and calm. I wouldn't put her back with the other chickens until she recovers because they will attack her. Hopefully, it's not serious, but time will tell.

I just spent some time in the basement with Eggie. She seems to have perked up some. She has been in a box, but I took her out and let her walk around. Earlier today she wouldn't move, now she was checking out the basement. Her comb is starting to pink up some too. She was also pecking at the spilled scratch grains down there.
fl.gif
I'm praying we're getting over the hump with her!!

She only has a few symptoms now, her poo is mostly white and runny. She also keeps twisting her neck to the left. Do these things mean anything? I've given her vitamin/electrolyte water and a little vitamin E with selenium. Her symptoms are almost like one of our chicks who had a vitamin absorption problem. The vitamin E and selenium cured her and she's a healthy hen now.

I have also cleaned out my entire coop and disinfected it, as well as picking up some oyster shell and black sunflower seeds in the event that they need more calcium and protein.

Sonja

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom