Twisty beak

Bernard P. Fife

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 8, 2012
Alabama
Well, that is the nickname given to our Araucana (I think she' an EE) with a scissor beak. I've read several posts on here about successes and failures with this issue and was hoping to get some helpful hints from those that have had success. Culling her IS NOT an option unless she truly appears to be suffering. She is the friendliest little chick we're raising by far. Every time I reach down to get a chick or the feeder out of the brood pen, she jumps onto the back of my hand to greet me. I raise her up out of the pen to eye level and see that little crooked face looking back at me. It's almost like in her short little life she's already come to the understanding that she needs me. I've tried hand feeding her, but she hasn't shown interest yet. She's half the size of the other four Araucanas we're raising and she spends a lot of her time at the feeder vigorously trying to eat. She has a severe case of it, in fact the bottom part of her beak is at almost a 90 degree angle from the top part. Are there certain high calorie foods I need to try to give her? She's not quite 9 weeks and is very alert and active. Any information is greatly appreciated!

At her young age, I would be prepared that things may get worse. She needs a deep dish of food so she can dig her beak in a bit deeper to get the kibble. She may enjoy warm, wet chick crumbles in a deeper dish. I wouldn't worry too much about fattening her up. Although my chickens LOVE shredded cheese and grapes, both kinda high cal. I do wish you the best of luck with her. I've lost a Silkie with cross beak before. I think she starved to death. Check your chicks breast bone and breast muscle area compared to other chicks her age to see if it's more sunken than others. Sending encouragement to you and your baby.
hugs.gif

At 9 weeks old if her beak is as severe as you imply she is going to slowly starve to death. There is no real course of treatment, and the beak will probably continue to get worse until her full skeletal growth is reached. I am sorry, but anything you do is merely putting off the inevitable.

You are going to need to institute daily tube feedings for the rest of her life or you are going to need to cull.

Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom