1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Twitching chick disease?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by triplepurpose, Feb 24, 2009.

1. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Hi all,

We just got some chicks (day old), shipped from a hatchery, and one of them has some bizarre problem. She is strong and lively (and vocal), but she is having intermittent seizure-like episodes where she starts twitch one leg violently (almost as though stratching at her face) so that she falls over. She does this for a few seconds, and then it seems to pass. She also contorts her neck in unnatural ways occasionally.

I've isolated her in a separate box from the rest of the chicks. We've had new chicks before many times, and occasionally some have died shortly after arrival. We accept that as an unfortunate but expected thing, but I've never seen anything like this. I'm curious if anybody knows anything about this type of thing?

Thanks for any info.

Peace,
    Sky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by