Twitching wings and dull feathers

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kittywithducks, Mar 20, 2012.

1. kittywithducks

kittywithducks New Egg

Sep 30, 2011
    Vancouver WA
    Anyone out there who knows how parasites manifest themselves?
    I have one Welsh Harlequin and one Magpie who are beautifully shiny and 'waterproof' and one Runner who's feathers look dull, even frayed on the wings, and she frequently twitches her wings. She also gets a rather waterlogged look in the rain or after bathing. Some bald spots but that might be the drake's doing. I inspected her for parasites but couldn't see any.
    Ideas as to what I should do???
    I provide fresh water to bathe, and other than acting weird she seems fine, laying and all.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I will make a guess and suggest you separate her from the drake for a few days. If he is paying too much attention to her, ahem, she could just be run down, tired, even hurt.

So see if a break from Mr. Drake perks her up. I would also give her vitamins/electrolytes/probiotics (this may be my mantra, thinking about it), or at least a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a gallon of water as a tonic.

This is just my gut feeling, having recently seen a similar situation with a friend's ducks.

3. kittywithducks

kittywithducks New Egg

Sep 30, 2011
    Vancouver WA
    Thanks, will do that, since 'mr drake' is playing the serial rapist with her alright, must be springtime feelings in the air... and he's also going to be dinner soon!
    So you don't think it's parasites then? (....phew)

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    No, I don't think parasites are involved, unless you consider the drake one big one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by