1. nanny chick

nanny chick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2009
    I have a young rooster that is constantly twitching his head. I picked him up to see if I could find anything wrong with him and I didn't see anything. I saw one of my young pullets do the same thing -- but only once. This is about my 4th or 5th time to raise chickens and I have never had this to happen. Does anyone know what causes this or what can I do about it?

2. flamingauburnmustang

flamingauburnmustang Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    South Africa
    Do you mean especially when he looks at something. If so, my rooster does the same. He is always doing it. [​IMG]

3. nanny chick

nanny chick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2009
    I haven't noticed if it happens more when he is looking a at something. I was afraid he might have something wrong with his ears.

4. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    He is probably either looking out for danger or has something stuck to his beak/head! No worries yet, but if it progresses into something serious let us know.

5. flamingauburnmustang

flamingauburnmustang Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    South Africa
    I don't think it will be that, but check anyway, better safe than sorry. [​IMG]

First, check if you see anything in or near the ear area. If so, try to remove it, NOT if it is in the ear. If that is the case, contact a vet to remove it safely.

Second, do the hearing test. Clap a few times near to him, and if he reacts, he should hear just fine. If not, maybe you should get that checked out, because he may either be going deaf, unbalanced or it may be something internal.

Hope that helps abit. [​IMG]

Keep us posted. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by