Twitchy Head

LuLuBelle

Songster
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Richmond, VA
Today we took our chickies out for some fresh air. They were out for quite some time today.

Anyways, my husband and i noticed tonight that one of them keeps twitching it's head. Even when sleeping or trying to sleep.

Any thoughts on what we should do?

Thanks!!

One of my bantam Cochins is doing the same thing. Was your doing this prior to the outdoor play? I ask because mine began doing this after my son saw it being pecked in the eye by another chick. We believe it may have an eye injury like a corneal abrasion that we just can't see. We're treating with antibiotic drops from the feed store. I canNOT for the life of me remember the name right off hand! I hope that you're little one feels better soon.

No, it was not doing this before it went outside.

Do I just keep an eye on it's behavior for a few days and see what happens? Do I take it to a vet?

Did you look over its head really well to see if you can see any injuries? Something might also be stuck in its beak or throat. Poke around and see if anything looks or feels different. If it seems in pain or terribly uncomfortable, maybe see if your vet would take a look at it. Call ahead, though, because I've come to find that not all vets will see a chicken.

I have a now six week old Sizzle with a neural twitch like that. It just started in the first couple weeks and never went away. He's otherwise normal he just twitches his head 3-8 times in a row, pauses for a varied period sometimes minutes sometimes hours, then does it again. I'd say he has some minor damage of some sort but since it doesn't otherwise impair his getting around and being a normal chicken.

He doesn't do it constantly though. I'd think constantly would represent a more substantial issue. Good luck.

I found this in my Chicken Disease Book:

Epidemic Tremor

incidence: Rare
signs: Appears at 1-2 weeks of age as uncontrolled movements, fine tremors of the head and dull eyes. Finally there is prostration and death. Epidemic tremor should not be confused with certain heritable traits such as congenital tremor which are apparent at hatching.
control: This disease is transmitted mechanically by way of the egg so, in addition to culling all afflicted chicks, one should check back to the parents and get rid of them also.

I don't know if this mean anything at all I just read it in the book. If it was me I would administer vitamins. I don't use poly vi sol but I just use human vitamin water and the couple of times of used on a chick for wry neck it worked within 2 days it was back to normal and is now out in the barn with its siblings as if nothing was wrong with it.

Good Luck with your little chick, I hope it recovers
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom