Twitter experiences and opinions?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sumi, Dec 26, 2013.

1. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I received an invite from a friend to "join him on Twitter". Thing is, I'm not a big social network fan, I don't have a FB account and I've never been near Twitter. I've been thinking about this and trying not to notice the "Still waiting for you..." emails. I guess I should let him know either way, but would like to know what I'm letting myself in for, should I accept. What was your experiences and impressions of Twitter? Is it as bad as FB?

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    NO, you cant join him on twitter - we need you to bad on BYC! [​IMG]

i know nothing about twitter, just wondered across this (in the unanswered area) and had to put my 2 cents worth in [​IMG].

but what would sally and oz and i do without you?

3. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    I'm a Twitter user as it is becoming indispensable for many small business owners. I have gotten onto FB for the same reasons but find FB to be a chore to tolerate. Twitter, however, is much better.

If you 'follow' people/groups/organizations/companies etc who share your interests, or who source information, resources, news, etc, then every single day all these people are providing you with links to things you are interested in and keeping you up to date. Saves me time. I've also received business opportunities and made good connections which have earned me money. It's a lot more private than FB as well, despite being so connected. These massive social sites are the way of the future for the moment, they will not go away, they will only become more and more "just the way it's done" just like telephones and internet etc.

But don't answer most Direct Messages, don't even click on most of them, they are often the product of a hacked account and contain viruses. If in doubt, google or web search that link provided in the message. Too many people use weak passwords like "12345" or "google" or "password"! I know someone who regularly hacks into accounts (just mischief between friends, nothing actually malicious) just by guessing the passwords. I've tried it and the success rate is a testament to people's transparency.

As with anything on the internet, a little suspicion is required. Plenty of info out there.

4. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

5. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Great answer! Thank you [​IMG]

6. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    You're welcome. :)

Twitter's free to use so if in doubt, try it out, I reckon. If you don't like it, you don't have to keep using it. I think it's got staying power as far as being a useful resource goes, though. Especially for business.

Best wishes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by