Twitter question

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by WriterofWords, Mar 23, 2011.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Ok,, I signed up on Twitter,, now how the heck do you use it? How do you let someone know what your twitter contact is? There is a distinct lack of information on that site as to what to do after you sign up!
    How do you send someone a "Tweet"?

2. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I use Twitter and it's pretty cool. If you want people to see your Twitter page, use the www.twitter.com/yourusernamehere (replacing your Twitter name in the yourusernamehere section with no spaces). By the way, that address doesn't exist in case anyone wants to click on it.

I like to use it to promote anything I'm doing from artwork and photographs I've posted on other sites to fun BYC posts. Some people tweet things about celebrities and there are some sites that tweet about important news stories. If you go on many news and weather sites, you can often find the T button for their Twitter page.

Once you've started tweeting, you might get some "followers". I wouldn't worry about them and you don't have to follow anyone you don't want. You CAN block people from reading your tweets or make your twitter feed private.

I like to receive tweets from friends, news sites, weather sites, about earthquakes, and birds.

ETA: Oh, when you go to your Twitter page, there's a blank box at the top and you can write anything in that box up to 140 characters and hit Tweet and you're done.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  3. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Thank you, I'll go try that,, then I'll come back and pull my hair out because Twitter is in none of my degree plans lol!

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Quote:LOL, it wasn't in mine, either. In fact, when I was in college, we had to learn DOS and Wordstar. The internet wasn't even around.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:LOL, it wasn't in mine, either. In fact, when I was in college, we had to learn DOS and Wordstar. The internet wasn't even around.

Dang you are old like me!!!

6. AMChandler

AMChandler Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2010
    Missouri
    I'm on twitter too! Love it! I follow political stuff and parenting stuff. It's great!

7. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I opened the account months ago, but haven't done much with it. I'm trying!!

8. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    There are some basics about twitter that are helpful to know:

Use the @ sign to reply to or comment to a person PUBLICLY. Everyone who follows you will be able to see it. So for example:
    @annaraven This is a public tweet

Would show up in my replies and also show up in your feed as something that everyone who follows you will see

d annaraven This is a private tweet
    Would show up in my private messages account. But watch out for private messages because often they're used for phishing.

Another useful thing is the # tag.
    This is a public tweet about #byc #backyardchickens

Hash tags or # is a way of tagging or labelling a tweet so others interested in that topic can create a feed or search that shows everyone tweeting about it.

If you want people to find you on twitter, just give them your @username and they can look it up and click the FOLLOW button.

Follow me @annaraven on twitter

I suggest you use a twitter client like Tweetdeck or Seesmic rather than the twitter page itself. Both are useful and can provide easier access to searches and the like. I like Tweetdeck because of the column format, so I can see my replies and directmessages easily along with any searches, but seesmic is nice too. Both of them do regular automatic updates, unlike the Twitter page, which last time I used it, required you to manually refresh the page to see new tweets.

Hope this helps.

9. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I didn't know you speak Greek!!

Quote:

10. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    Quote:Actually, I've developed and taught a class called _Computer Survival 101_ with the first module being "How to speak geek". [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by