Twittering & tweeting -- the old fashioned way!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by OHGrandma, Feb 23, 2011.

1. OHGrandma

OHGrandma Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2011
    Ohio
    19 little tweeters arrived in the mail this morning. If the postmistress was not exaggerating, then she'll be claiming workers comp for the stress of listening to them chirp for two hours before my hubby got there to pick them up! I think she's a bit of a drama queen![​IMG]

They apparently spent the first 4 hours here at home getting their gizzards stuffed, checked out their new home, got acquainted with each other, and now are all laid out -- sound asleep. There is an occassional chirp, and a head or two will raise, but then go back down. I was worried about the temperature in their makeshift brooder. It was just barely above 80 around the edges when I was testing my bulb last night. I picked up a regular heat lamp today on my way home. Hubby had them all settled in and they appeared to be comfortable with the 100 watt bulb. The thermometer still said just above 80 around their feed & water, so I moved the thermometer to where the little chirps were gathering under the light. It was 95 degrees! Hurrah! For the last hour they have been grouped under the light, but not piled up, and sleeping nicely.

The cats are ignoring them, yay! I think I can rest easy tonight, too.

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Awww! I can just picture the cuteness [​IMG]

3. OHGrandma

OHGrandma Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2011
    Ohio
    They are really cute. I've never brooded chicks where I could see them. Hubby had a regular brooder, so the chicks were mostly hidden from view when sleeping. We gave that to a nephew who is raising chickens. I may borrow it back in a week or so, and put the chicks in the garage.

A few just woke again, and some soft twittering is going on as they begin to eat again.

4. feather and mountain man

feather and mountain man Corn fed Indiana farmgirl

Jan 17, 2010
    Congrats on the new babies it is always so exciting when they first arrive! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by