two Americaunas died suddenly!

Shannon93

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2017
Hi all-

I am new to backyard chickens but have been raising them on a farm setting for years. Last night, two out of three of my Americaunas died in the middle of the night and one looks like she's about to. I have 3 healthy RIRs that look great.
Any ideas what happened?? We have been going through a heat wave here in MA. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Welcome to BYC!

What does their body feel like...skinny?
Were they eating and drinking prior to the sudden death?

Yes they were eating and drinking fine, one had a doughy crop about a week ago but I gave her herbal remedy and it went away. I couldn't find any apperent cause of death from their body

I would check your feed for possible mold or an off odor. Some breeds are less tolerant of heat, especially if overweight. There can be bullying with pecking order, so it is good to keep water and food both inside and outside the coop. I change water in late afternoon on hot days so they can always have some cool water before turning in. I haven't had too many crop issues, but it can occur when they eat long strands of grass. Having 3 and possibly a 4th hen die suddenly sounds like either heat conditions or a poisoning by mold or even something like botulism. Did you notice any symptoms in the dying hens? If the 4th hen dies, then I would refrigerate the body and on Monday take or send it to your state vet or poultry lab. In the meantime, check her crop to see if it is empty, full, hard, soft, or puffy. Look her over for mites or lice, especially under her vent and elsewhere. Sorry for your loss, and I hope you figure out what is happening.

Thank you all for your responses.
I went out to check my new-ish feeder for signs of mold or botulism, and realized that the paper instructions were blocking the fall of feed into the base, where the chickens could eat. I feel like an idiot for not realizing this, and am so so upset with myself, but have contacted the feeder company.
Thanks again for all of your support, and always check both the amount of feed in the feeder and the hole it comes out!

I'm so sorry, but glad that you found the problem. Feeders never seem to work that well without a little redistribution every day, at least all of the ones I have tried. Sometimes a flat pig pan is the best--at least I am physically putting in feed each morning in 2 pans. We all learn from our mistakes, so don't beat

Back
Top Bottom