two Astralorps -- is one a rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ninakat53, Jun 21, 2010.

1. ninakat53

ninakat53 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2009
    Howdies all! I have two Australorps that are exactly 9 weeks old, both hatched on April 19. They're developing quite differently, and I suspect the one with the red comb is a rooster -- the other's comb hasn't even started. Or, is it possible that they could develop at different rates?

This first picture shows both chickens, with the one in question on the right:

[​IMG]

Here's another, with the chicken in question in the foreground -- the other Australorp is in the background.

[​IMG]

Finally, here's a clearer shot of the chicken in question:

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    still a little early for me... let's hope you have a hen that is developing quicker than the other.

.... but he has a roo's stance...

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I'm thinkin roo

4. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    I feel pretty confident saying he`s a cockerel....looks just like mine did a few weeks ago. Red comb, thick legs and some saddle feathers coming in. The other looks like a pullet.

5. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

That is definitely a cockerel. The other is a pullet.

6. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    Roo.

7. ninakat53

Sep 22, 2009
    Thanks so much everybody -- you've confirmed what I suspected. Here's another picture taken today showing the feathers and they are clearly more pointed, which I read in the Dummies book should indicate a roo, and also the fact that the feathers are irridescent -- whereas the other Australorp doesn't have the pointed feathers OR the irridescence.

[​IMG]

8. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Looks like a roo to me too, all of my aussies looked like your girl till they were much older then they got bigger combs and were much more red. Your girl will have the pretty sheen too but not till she's older. Boys are much more obvious with the iridescence.

9. ninakat53

Sep 22, 2009
    Thanks mom2jedi. Much appreciated, sad as I am to have to part with him. (No roosters allowed here.)

10. ninakat53

Sep 22, 2009
    Well, she's back and not a rooster after all -- according to the guy at the farm who kept her. But I'm still not 100% certain, except that she is almost 5 months old and doesn't crow. Is it possible that some roosters don't crow at all?

I'll take new pictures soon, and see what you all think. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by