Two Baby Chicks Are Dead! PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ragerkid2, Apr 25, 2011.

1. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    When I wine up this morning a baby chick had it's head on it's back and it's feet it the air and it was sleeping that way. She looked dead. But she was still breathing. I put her in her own brooder because the other ones were walking all over her. I tried to get her to lay down normal which she did but I went to get a shower and when i came back (20 min.) she was on her back with her feet in the air. I thought for sure she was dead. She was actually still alive. I layed her down normal again and I had to leave for school. I was told by someone on BYC to give her sugar water, but as soon as my dad got the sugar water ready and went in to the room she was dead. We thought it was a issue with that one chick. But I cam home (4:30) and my little brother found the second one dead. Then I thought a disease got to them. So I went all chicken health crazy. I called TSC and they said to go buy a antibiotic for the chicks. So we did. I mixed a tablespoon with a gallon on water. I made sure all the chicks got at-least one drink on the way back into the brooder. Oh! And I totally emptied out their brooders and cleaned it with antibacterial soap. I took everything out that had poop on it and threw it away,(perches, blocks of wood under the feeders) I read that the poop can carry the disease. I also got rid of the food that was in there. I washed out the water giver also. Plus the antibiotics were mixed in the water. I feel like there is something els I can do but im not sure. Please help me because I'm clueless. I think one of my birds in the other brooder is showing symptoms, but I'm not sure

2. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    I'm so sorry for your loss. [​IMG] Do they have any other symptoms? Are they eating and drinking normally?

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Chicks die, especially those that have been shipped. Antibiotics are not the way to go. I swear, TSC tries to sell antibiotics to everybody and it makes me crazy. Chicks need warmth, fresh water and chick starter and if one dies, it wasn't meant to live. Shipping is very hard on them. I'd forget the antibiotics.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

More information would help....

how old are the chicks?

What are the temps in your brooder?

How many chicks and how big is your brooder?

etc.

5. ragerkid2

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    I have two brooders right now. One has Light Barahamas and they are 3 weeks old and the other one has (had = [... ) 10 Golden Commets (red Sex Links) I lost two of the red sex links. The temp in the Red sex link brooder is between 88 and 90 degrees. Im not sure about the temp in the Light barahmas brooder is. They arent huddled together and they are not spread out to the edges so I think they are fine. Plus they have alot of there feeathers already. I dont want to take my thermometer upstairs because I dont want it to give the big birds any sickness. Im not sure if you caught on but I took the Red Sex Links and took them in my family room and the Light Barhamas are in my room. I am taking precautions to keep it from spreading from the two brooders.

6. ragerkid2

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    They look to be eating drinking and pooping pretty normal.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

How old are the ones that died?

8. ragerkid2

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    A week old. They are red sex links.

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Sometimes they just die...shipping from the hatchery to the store is hard on them and then the move to yet another new place from the store is also hard on them. I doubt that it's any type of illness that antibiotics will help.

10. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    [​IMG] So sorry for your loss.

I was at TSC today and there were two ladies buying ducklings and the first lady asked the cashier something about the ducks and chickens (health question) and the cashier said that TSC give a 24 hour 'guarentee' but they expect the chicks to even survive that long after leaving the store. The cashier went on to tell her that it was probably a better idea to get the ducklings because they always seem to be more healthier. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by