Two bantams from hardware store.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by okhippie, Jun 28, 2011.

1. okhippie

okhippie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    Keystone Dam
    We got these as babies on 4-16
    So they are about 9 weeks old. Any ID for breed and gender would be great!! Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    I think they are both pullets....don't know on the laced looking one it is pretty though but the white one looks cochin or cochin/mix.

[​IMG] from texas by the way !!!!!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  3. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    The black looks like a black Sex Link pullet but I would find that unusual for a bantam. The other looks like a white Cochin pullet but she doesn't look like a bantam either.

4. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    They dont look like bantams but they are for sure hens. Love your cochin.

5. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Not sure about the dark laced one, but I agree with the other posts - the white one looks like a Large Fowl Cochin pullet - not a Bantam.

6. okhippie

okhippie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    Keystone Dam
    This is so funny to me. My mother asked to get two chicks for my daughter's birthday in April, so we built the coop, and I said get 2 bantams. She brought 3, and I made her take one back. I guess that's good if they are full size, I was beginning to wonder, since they seemed so big to me!
    Now we have 3 regular size on the way, an EE, Australorp and a Leghorn to add to these two.

Thanks for the input!!! This is the first time I've ever had chickens, and it has been VERY interesting. We actually lost 2 chicks today to our dog and the 3rd is okay for now. I ordered replacements. The purpose for our chickens is to give our kids a life with vegetable farming, fresh eggs, and responsibilities with fresh air. They certainly learned a lesson today about death, and I learned mine about freak accidents. You can never assume the dog that never gets out will never get out.

7. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    I'm sorry for your loss. It's a tough way to learn a life's lesson though. I'm with you on the kids learning the responsibility and rewards of raising your own foods. I know my daughter really appreciates the food from our garden and our barnyard. She works hard to keep the animals healthy and the veggies growing. It bleeds over into other facets of life too. All of her teachers have commented on her maturity and the level of responsibility she accepts in the classroom. Plus, she's as healthy as can be since she doesn't spend all of her time in front of the tv or computer and gets outside a lot even in the middle of the cold Alaskan winters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by