Two Barred Rocks, Which is the Rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by badgerpendous, Mar 1, 2009.

1. badgerpendous

badgerpendous Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2009
    Redwood City, CA
    In the last week, one of our barred rock's combs has really started to grow. They're about 8 or 9 weeks old, and we just moved them out into the coop last night.

The bigger comb:
    [​IMG]

And the smaller comb:
    [​IMG]

AND, bonus points for your gender guess on this little one (the bird, not the daughter! [​IMG] ):
    [​IMG]

2. badgerpendous

Jan 22, 2009
    Redwood City, CA
  3. freddy22

freddy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Illinois
    http://www.dominiquechicken.com/Sexing_Dominique_chicks.html
    I know those are not barred rocks but the same principle may apply to your small one, which is why i call it a rooster * BONUS POINTS FOR ME* the bigger comb i would call a rooster and the second one i would call a hen, but i could be wrong, they may turn out to be the same gender...who knows?

4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:Sorry but you are WRONG. Those ARE Barred Rocks. Dominiques have ROSE combs, these ones have SINGLE combs. And I'd say that the smaller combed one is a pullet, not sure on the one with the bigger comb. Could be a pullet, but I'd wait a little longer. And my guess on the little guy is rooster, just because of how big the white dot on his head is. The best thing to do is just wait til they're older.

5. badgerpendous

Jan 22, 2009
    Redwood City, CA
    Quote:Sorry but you are WRONG. Those ARE Barred Rocks. Dominiques have ROSE combs, these ones have SINGLE combs. And I'd say that the smaller combed one is a pullet, not sure on the one with the bigger comb. Could be a pullet, but I'd wait a little longer. And my guess on the little guy is rooster, just because of how big the white dot on his head is. The best thing to do is just wait til they're older.

I think freddy22 was saying that the link posted was not specific to Barred Rocks...

But anyway, thanks for the feedback so far!

6. freddy22

Mar 2, 2008
    Illinois
    yea, sorry if i confused you, i meant the link and the pictures of chicks and the dots on their heads were not barred rocks but i thought maybe the same principle applied to sexing barred rocks....i know that what badgerpendous posted are Barred Rocks

7. freddy22

Mar 2, 2008
    Illinois
    very pretty by the way too!

8. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    they both look like pullets to me, How old are they?

9. badgerpendous

Jan 22, 2009
    Redwood City, CA
    Quote:That would be great! They're 8 - 9 weeks old. The little one is, I think, about 3 weeks old.

10. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    What colour is their father? Light/ dark?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by