Two Beautiful Bantam Cochin(?) Roos(?)....Color?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Yotta Yotta, May 19, 2008.

1. Yotta Yotta

Yotta Yotta Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2008
    Madison AL
    Here there, Mainly I just wanted to brag. [​IMG] These are two of the roos that came with my batch and I think they are just gorgeous. The first one is the one I definately knew was a roo first (My brother wants to name him Gryphon, sister Prince Caspian, me McGyver). I was hoping that the second one (Eagle) wouldn't be a roo but his comb has grown a lot since this photo.

They were both sold to me as bantam cochins, but I'm starting to wonder if the first one is maybe a mix? All of his siblings have "feathered out" now but he still has his most of his baby fluffy. He's also got that chipmunk pattern but the wing feathers are coming out barred. What color will he be?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Those are turkeys.

Just kiddin! [​IMG]

3. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

:eek: Wow, interesting colors to be sure! Looks like probably crosses (color wise anyway, not saying they are full cochin). It'll be interesting to see what they end up looking like! Their colors will change dramatically once they're full grown and get all their saddle feathers in and everything! Exciting, it's like a surprise! [​IMG]

4. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    the first one kind of has a Grey (silver/Golden duckwing) Color. so it may grow up to have that.. would be quite interesting for a cochin.. the red one, i would kinda expect to be rhode island redish. who knows though?. chickens are weird. one day their black. next they could be white. (SEEN IT)

5. Yotta Yotta

Apr 22, 2008
    Madison AL
    Dangerouschicken -- [​IMG] We actually got a baby turkey when we got these ones...but your post still made me worry for maybe [​IMG] 30 seconds until I scrolled down. lol!

Kanchii -- It is exciting! But I'm being impatient too! [​IMG] All of the adult cochins the people who sold them to us had unusual colors like black with orange spot or something else crazy I've never seen before.

DTchickens -- I'll have to look up Grey (silver duckwing) color. He mush be that. Thanks for the input.

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  6. DTchickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Actually looking at the first one now. by his wings. hes a barred/crele. [​IMG]

7. Yotta Yotta

Apr 22, 2008
    Madison AL
    Hey I wanted to post an updated picture. First Griffin went through his ugly stage were he was the same size as his sisters and brother but had no feathers. He finally started feathering out about 4-5 weeks after everyone else. His feathers are coming out mostly white...maybe he'll have a Columbian pattern? His legs seem to be very green too...maybe he's crossed with an EE?

I really wish he was a pullet. It seems like all of my really cool colored cochins turned out to be roosters. Now I have to pick which ones I want to keep, but I want all of them!

Here's Griffin from the front. Whenever I sit down he runs up to me and starts chatting. I gues he wants worms.
    [​IMG]
    From the side:
    [​IMG]

8. Yotta Yotta

Apr 22, 2008
    Madison AL
    He grew up! Now I think maybe he is a Silver penciled cochin or a Birchen cochin.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  9. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Wow, he's gorgeous! Whoda thunk that baby would turn into that beautiful young man!

Thanks for the update.

10. DTchickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:silver duckwing colored, (Not sure what its called in cochins) So i was write wooot! hes just kinda bad (White splotches in chest, off coloring through out) But hes pretty. so what about eagle?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by