Two BFF roosters are now fighting.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by docrox12, Feb 1, 2017.

1. docrox12

docrox12 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2016
    I tried separating them yesterday and then snuck one back in last night while they were asleep. They didn't start back in right away, but eventually did. I waited both times until there was blood dripping and heavy panting. It did not appear that one was winning.
    I have one large coop 12 x 20 with 1/3 acre run and 15 chickens.
    I also have a small coop that is built for 6 chickens with a 5 x 3 run. I moved one Roo into it this morning. I guess I am fine with starting another flock and doubling my chores.
    My question is - should I put either some hens with him or wait until I get some chicks raised old enough to go in with him? Will he be too lonely for 3 months? Also, it is not heated at the moment so I would either need to get him a lamp or add the hens so they can keep each other warm. It is only getting down in the 20's right now but this is a mild winter.
    Thanks for any advice.

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    What are your goals? Just because you do have a separate coop, and can house the second roo there, does that fit with your flock goals? Do you need both roos for breeding? If this was my flock, this last question would be the deciding factor. Unless you NEED both roos for a breeding program, I'd cull the one that least likely meets your goals. Conformation, temperament in both treatment of his ladies, and non aggressive nature towards all humans being deciding factors.

3. docrox12

Apr 8, 2016
    They are both great Roos. Both calm and gentle (until now to each other). I have hatched from them and would like to again this spring. Since my goal is to increase my flock size I think I will keep them both.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I often separate out roosters right in the existing coop if there's room for a separation pen. Keeping him as part of the flock can help with putting him back in the flock later on if you don't want another separate flock. I have had roosters work out dominance issues through a fence.

Right now hormones are surging in preparation for the spring breeding season, so roosters are getting frisky and are more prone to fight. It's possible in a few months that they can get along again.

5. docrox12

Apr 8, 2016
    OK, thanks. I moved him and two hens to the small coop. The only drag is there isn't power to it so the water froze in about 2 hours. I would have to figure that out. :-(

6. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I water all mine in rubber bowls and buckets so I just bash the ice out. I give fresh water twice a day, I carry out a plastic watering can with warm water, and mine do okay like that. Good you got something figured out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by