two blue laced red wyandotte 8 weeks old - are they roo or pullet

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Grindlefamily, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    I saw these for sale nearby and am wondering if they are roo or pullet:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you think?

2. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I don't know for sure, but there sure are pretty!

3. Brian461

Brian461 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2008
    Cleveland,TX
    No roo. They are some good looking hens.

4. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    hmmm how sure are you? Anyone had this breed - are they friendly? They are beautiful.

Louella

5. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    I have two 8 week old blrw that are very friendly. They tend to be timid with other chickens. One of mine has wattles like the dark one and the other has no wattles. I do not see signs of saddle feathers or any other rooish traits. If people think both of yours are pullets then maybe, just maybe I have two hens. I wish I had a dark one. I will just have to keep looking for a dark BLRW.

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Mine are about the same age as yours and i still cannot tell either. I think its very hard to tell with the breed. They really can develop at different speeds from my experience. I have 2 SLW hens and one has twice the comb and waddles ad the other. I also had that happen with 2 buff orps. So i think you have to just enjoy them and have a back up plan if you cant keep a rooster, just in case [​IMG]

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've got BLRWs and I'd say the dark one is a roo and the lighter may be a pullet. Mine are very friendly birds.....probably my friendliest of the breeds I've got. I'll try and find some pictures of some of mine at 8 weeks.

In this picture the one in the middle bottom portion of the picture is a roo and the one to the right bottom corner is a pullet. They're 8 weeks old in this picture.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  8. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    They both look like pullets to me. Though I do have to agree that sometimes it's tough to be 100% positive at this age.

I have one light roo and one dark hen. The hen can be a little snooty to the other girls at times but the roo is a sweetie.

-Cindy in MA

9. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    This breed seems to be one of the harder to sex. I have one, and it has a comb and wattles like the first one in your picture. I figure it is a roo, but it is very friendly. In fact, if I walk over to the coop, I have to always look before stepping back since the blrw is always right next to me.

Relynn likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by