Two blue laced wyandotte chicks both died seemingly without cause

poffz

Hatching
Mar 2, 2021
So this week has been a turbulent one for my broody mama, first she gets taken down to the base of the hill by a neighborhood dog after being let out to teach her chick, then her chick disappears(Side question: What can make a 3 week old baby disappear without a trace from a brooder without leaving a body or any damage to the brooder, as well as not alerting the mama, it cant fit through the bars or wood) and now we got her 5 more chicks, 2 buff orpington, 2 blue laced wyandottes and a silkie, and she seemed to take to all of them at first. I came out to see if she was taking to them well tonight, i had put in a heat lamp to be sure, and now i find the 2 blue laced wyandottes both lying dead, seemingly uninjured, next to one of the buff orpington and the silkie both huddling, while the other buff orpington is under the mama(Broody silkie btw)

This sounds like a chicken horror story. I think that maybe they died because they didn't have enough grit, vitamins, and probiotics. They might've been sick, or infected on the inside. are you 100% sure there is no blood spots where they could've been murdered by a jealous nest-mate or a snake?

This sounds like a chicken horror story. I think that maybe they died because they didn't have enough grit, vitamins, and probiotics. They might've been sick, or infected on the inside. are you 100% sure there is no blood spots where they could've been murdered by a jealous nest-mate or a snake?
We just got them today, and im thinking it may be something with the brooder at the store for the breed specifically, may have been left out too long or just bad feed, i made sure to check their bodies over and there was no blood, i had felt it with my hands as well to see if i could feel wetness, none, eyes were half open, grit isnt too important until they start eating other things from my understanding, where i am we are just coming out of the cold season but today was rainy and cold so snakes are also unlikely to enter, as well as the past few being overcast, though we have a heat lamp in case the mama didnt sit on them, so if i had to wager a guess its a bit of a coincidence that the two that died from the same breed, since that means same original brooder.

We just got them today, and im thinking it may be something with the brooder at the store for the breed specifically, may have been left out too long or just bad feed, i made sure to check their bodies over and there was no blood, i had felt it with my hands as well to see if i could feel wetness, none, eyes were half open, grit isnt too important until they start eating other things from my understanding, where i am we are just coming out of the cold season but today was rainy and cold so snakes are also unlikely to enter, as well as the past few being overcast, though we have a heat lamp in case the mama didnt sit on them, so if i had to wager a guess its a bit of a coincidence that the two that died from the same breed, since that means same original brooder.
Then I think it was, yes, something most likely in the breeding store.

Back
Top Bottom