1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Two boy chicks......will this work?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by sacarvounis, Nov 29, 2010.

1. sacarvounis

sacarvounis Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2010
    I was given 2 chicks which have been identified as males; thank you all for responding to my previous post! The other person with the hens seems to want to keep them. I only wanted 2 and had wanted a pair. My question is this: is it possible to have 2 boys without hens? Will they fight? If I decide to allow them free range next summer, will they take off looking for ladies? Will they make more noise than usual because there are no hens? (My husbands biggest concern)

Right now, they are very bonded and so cute that I don't want to re-home one in favor of a female if I don't have to. Advice please!!

2. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    they will be fine together if freerange....do you have chicken or other birds if so they should stay around them.

3. sacarvounis

sacarvounis Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2010
    No, I don't have other birds. And I wasn't intending to get involved with breeding any (yet). I just hope that they will be happy as a pair of bachelor guys!

4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    It will be fine, at least for first couple years. I've seen places with only one or 2 males, but most also had other kinds of birds like chickens, guineas. The general rule is: Probably will work but also probably will help a lot to have extra birds around... Especially true if there are other peafowl within hearing distance. Peafowl are strongly attracted to sounds of other peafowl so if they can hear some, you can expect them to either eventually visit them and come back or simply go there and not come back especially if they have a lot of hens available to the visitors.

A couple female guinea hens will work, they often mate willingly with peacocks, most eggs will not be fertile, and even if they produce a baby, it will be a mule(not fertile). Or you can simply collect the eggs so they never sit and hatch(this will work even if you get peahens.. just collect the eggs to eat or sell).

5. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    My grandfather has had males together for years and has never had issues. myst my to sense

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by